Turkey bachelor flock questions

Fluffy_Butt

Songster
Aug 18, 2020
Wisconsin
I have 4 male palm turkeys, almost 2 years old who live in a pole building-turned-coop with our chickens and goats. The pole building is split into 3 sections with cattle panels and the turkeys (although free-ranged) mainly hang out in the middle area and with the goats. Earlier this week, I went out to the coop and found 3 wild turkeys in the left side of the coop. They weren't bothering anyone (chickens were all peacefully roosted) but were quick to sneak back in after I shooed them out.

Questions:
1. Are these even wild turkeys or were they more likely just dumped? These guys act just like my one skittish pet turkey and are clearly comfortable going through doors (pole building openings have been fitted with normal 36" wide doors) and being in buildings. I'm a softy so I let them back in and they roosted like they belonged there the last two nights. Although maybe they were just trying to stay out of the rain and will wander off with better weather?

2. Will a vet even see a wild (?) bird and is it worth it? One of the new guys has kind of messed up feet. I was originally thinking really bad bumble since they looked swollen, but last night I could see that at least his middle toe had been broken. It's at almost a 90 degree angle to the side and the joint area is huge, but immobile, like it's an old injury that fused/healed out of place. He walks normally but has trouble roosting properly (he roosted on a workbench instead of the rafters). The other foot is also swollen and I didn't see any scab (I got pretty good at recognizing bumble before we covered the gravel around the coop with sand) but I'm not sure what the problem could be. I think he also has scaly leg mites so I gave him a first dose of ivermectin.

3. What I'm most interested in is if my turkey bachelor flock will possibly integrate with these guys? Mine are going on 2 years old and the new guys' beards are maybe 2-4 inches longer. Although free-ranged, my lazy guys never wander more than a few meters from the coop so I doubt they'd completely go wild, but there isn't really a good way to keep the newcomers away either. Is there likely to be constant fighting or just more of the face-wrestling that I already see amongst my own? I know they're hormone-crazy at this time of year, but so far each group has spent more squabbling with themselves than each other.

Attachments

• F512977D-A8A2-4C8A-825D-30F8F48C758F.jpeg
    F512977D-A8A2-4C8A-825D-30F8F48C758F.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 57
  • C2C84824-BB7E-4177-958A-04E810A2CB49.jpeg
    C2C84824-BB7E-4177-958A-04E810A2CB49.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 20
  • 6E2274F5-186E-48D9-99CB-37CA6DB087FF.jpeg
    6E2274F5-186E-48D9-99CB-37CA6DB087FF.jpeg
    972.2 KB · Views: 24
  • EE3FA838-3CDB-433F-B74B-BC4C3499BA16.jpeg
    EE3FA838-3CDB-433F-B74B-BC4C3499BA16.jpeg
    588.9 KB · Views: 25
I have 4 male palm turkeys, almost 2 years old who live in a pole building-turned-coop with our chickens and goats. The pole building is split into 3 sections with cattle panels and the turkeys (although free-ranged) mainly hang out in the middle area and with the goats. Earlier this week, I went out to the coop and found 3 wild turkeys in the left side of the coop. They weren't bothering anyone (chickens were all peacefully roosted) but were quick to sneak back in after I shooed them out.

Questions:
1. Are these even wild turkeys or were they more likely just dumped? These guys act just like my one skittish pet turkey and are clearly comfortable going through doors (pole building openings have been fitted with normal 36" wide doors) and being in buildings. I'm a softy so I let them back in and they roosted like they belonged there the last two nights. Although maybe they were just trying to stay out of the rain and will wander off with better weather?

2. Will a vet even see a wild (?) bird and is it worth it? One of the new guys has kind of messed up feet. I was originally thinking really bad bumble since they looked swollen, but last night I could see that at least his middle toe had been broken. It's at almost a 90 degree angle to the side and the joint area is huge, but immobile, like it's an old injury that fused/healed out of place. He walks normally but has trouble roosting properly (he roosted on a workbench instead of the rafters). The other foot is also swollen and I didn't see any scab (I got pretty good at recognizing bumble before we covered the gravel around the coop with sand) but I'm not sure what the problem could be. I think he also has scaly leg mites so I gave him a first dose of ivermectin.

3. What I'm most interested in is if my turkey bachelor flock will possibly integrate with these guys? Mine are going on 2 years old and the new guys' beards are maybe 2-4 inches longer. Although free-ranged, my lazy guys never wander more than a few meters from the coop so I doubt they'd completely go wild, but there isn't really a good way to keep the newcomers away either. Is there likely to be constant fighting or just more of the face-wrestling that I already see amongst my own? I know they're hormone-crazy at this time of year, but so far each group has spent more squabbling with themselves than each other.
They look like Bronze turkey which is what wild turkeys are. If they are wild turkeys contact you local game warden or DNR agent. You should have immediately shooed them away as they can potentially bring disease with them.

It is illegal to take possession of live wild turkeys from the wild.

We did shoo them away, several times in fact, but they keep returning so now I'm reconsidering my options. Aside from closing the coop at night, they are welcome to leave so I'm certainly not trying to capture them.

I've encountered wild turkeys several times before (although not a bachelor flock during spring) and these guys are so much more chill then the others. That and the fact that one has almost royal palm wing colors makes me wonder if they were dumped heritage breeds.

We did shoo them away, several times in fact, but they keep returning so now I'm reconsidering my options. Aside from closing the coop at night, they are welcome to leave so I'm certainly not trying to capture them.

I've encountered wild turkeys several times before (although not a bachelor flock during spring) and these guys are so much more chill then the others. That and the fact that one has almost royal palm wing colors makes me wonder if they were dumped heritage breeds.
With the amount of interbreeding that goes on between wild flocks and domestic flocks along with escaped domestic turkeys the wild flocks are seldom pure anymore.

I had two wild hens that spent the year here last year. They would come right up to me when I was filling the bird feeder but they were definitely wild birds and they were also definitely not pure with both of them showing signs that they could be offspring of a wild hen and my toms. They are still wild turkeys as classified by the WY G&F.

Check with your local G&F or DNR.

What should I be checking/asking with the DNR?

I have no problem if they want to roost in the safety of my coop, as long as they behave themselves with my other birds. My flock would already have been exposed to anything they may carry just from being free-ranged.

What should I be checking/asking with the DNR?

I have no problem if they want to roost in the safety of my coop, as long as they behave themselves with my other birds. My flock would already have been exposed to anything they may carry just from being free-ranged.
Among other things, the legalities of what is going on and if/whether they may wish to relocate them.

I'm not sure where my previous post went, if this is a duplicate I'm sorry. Also if you see typos forgive me I have a migraine. :D

They behave like turkeys that were either dumped at your place or left behind when someone moved. Given you only have male turkeys and this new group are male and not interested in fighting with your turkeys, AND keep coming back even though you shoo them away seems like they are not wild. I can see if you had hens that toms might be interested in.

The turkey with that cannot roost would not be likely to make it long in the wild. That does not look like a new injury.

Honestly the DNR in my area would shoot them whether they thought they were wild or not. If they are a mix of wild and domestic and the DNR happens to see them in your yard, they won't care. Like R2elk says it's hard to tell domestic from wild do to crossbreeding and color similarities.

If you want to contact somebody I'd try a wildlife rehab group. They can fill you in on the regulations in your area. Believe me the rehab groups don't want to get in trouble. At least in my area they are very honest.

As far as disease, I don't know what's in your area transmitted turkey to turkey. People are always happy when their own turkeys return from romping with wild turkeys. I personally have not heard of diseases.

If I personally had this situation I'd let them stay as long as they weren't causing any trouble and were healthy.

People have dumped ducks and chickens at my house. Why not a turkey.

Maybe they were a child's pets and the parents said they took them to a wonderful farm where they will live happy lives (like some do with puppies and kittens). :lau
:(

Thank you! This is the kind of helpful reply I was hoping for. I was hesitant to contact the DNR for the reason you mentioned. Due to the flu spreading, my husband freaked at first when I suggested we just let them stay, but it turns out they had been chilling in the coop most of that day* by that point so it seemed like any damage would have been done.

*Funny story: So my mother has an apartment in our house and does a lot with the birds. That day she had done the early day care. I found the new turkeys in the evening, but when I told the family that wild turkeys were in the coop, my mom said "Wait, those a wild turkeys?! I thought yours were just wet!" So now I get to tease my mother about thinking my white turkeys are special color-changing turkeys that become black when wet :lau

Anyway, my husband has since named them. Maybe they'll still run off with some wild hens, but until then, I guess they live with me.

Bonus: the boys all get along 😊

Attachments

• 79C538C0-003A-489D-9835-368D5A8D90D9.jpeg
    79C538C0-003A-489D-9835-368D5A8D90D9.jpeg
    826.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DBDB59F5-7B8D-4D34-BBAE-5CAEE881D596.jpeg
    DBDB59F5-7B8D-4D34-BBAE-5CAEE881D596.jpeg
    773.2 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom