Turkey attacked by something

Theeremmy

Chirping
Jan 30, 2018
Early morning on Wednesday one of my juvenile turkeys got attacked by something and has a gash on its leg. We cleaned it up and put some vetericyn on it cause that’s all I have on hand and bandaged it up as well as put her in a crate away from everyone else. I changed the bandage today and the skin has a greenish tint to it. I wasn’t able to get pictures before it was cleaned and rebandaged, but is that normal?

Here’s a picture of the wound and the first bandaging. CFBF06CF-C7FA-422C-B2BA-9E6F04C41D12.jpeg 66E0C234-A340-4366-92AA-A70BE9CF1496.jpeg

Oh... gosh! Your poor turkey!:hugsI think that what you put on it, should be great for it. but here are some steps I found from a website that could really help your turkey!

Good luck, and I hope this helps!:thumbsup

• Hold a clean piece of lintless cloth or gauze over the wound
  • Trim feathers away from the edge of the wound
  • Wash the wound with warm mild soapy water
  • Rinse well with clean warm water
  • Trim away any loose bits of skin that will not heal
  • If the wound continues to bleed, use stypic (blood stopping) powder or pressure to stop it
  • Apply antibacterial ointment daily to help keep the wound free from bacteria
  • Place the chicken in a clean, separate area and check the wounds for infection several times a day
  • If infection sets in, clean the wounds two to three times daily
  • If the chicken can’t reach the area with its beak and the weather is warm, apply a wound dressing to prevent flies from laying eggs on the wound
  • Keep the chicken warm and quiet to prevent shock. If the chicken is very valuable to you, take it to a vet straight away.

Early morning on Wednesday one of my juvenile turkeys got attacked by something and has a gash on its leg. We cleaned it up and put some vetericyn on it cause that’s all I have on hand and bandaged it up as well as put her in a crate away from everyone else. I changed the bandage today and the skin has a greenish tint to it. I wasn’t able to get pictures before it was cleaned and rebandaged, but is that normal?

Here’s a picture of the wound and the first bandaging.View attachment 1507435View attachment 1507436

The greenish tint you see is likely bruising.

Back
Top Bottom