TSC hatcheries, ugh

That sounds as plausible as any other explanation I've heard :lau

Of course they may make things more confusing, rather than more clear!

Yes, unfortunately "wait and see" ends up being the answer to many kinds of mystery-chick questions.
Update on the grey "leghorns". 6 days old and they are showing white spots on the head and tiny barred wing feathers. I'm still puzzled, but it does at least show one parent was MAYBE barred.
I'm still confused over how a leghorn comes from a Sussex and a barred rock. I guess I'll research. More...

Update on the grey "leghorns". 6 days old and they are showing white spots on the head and tiny barred wing feathers. I'm still puzzled, but it does at least show one parent was MAYBE barred.
I'm still confused over how a leghorn comes from a Sussex and a barred rock. I guess I'll research. More...
I think you probably have two things going on here:

--"Pearl Star Leghorns" are not what they claim to be (may not be Leghorn, nor Sussex, nor Barred Rock)

--No matter what "Pearl Star Leghorns" may be, your chicks are something else (That is based on your chicks not matching the pictures or descriptions for "Pearl Star Leghorns," plus the knowledge that mis-labeled chicks at TSC are fairly common.)

I'm still confused over how a leghorn comes from a Sussex and a barred rock.
Your chickens are not Leghorns, that is pure mislabeling and they should not be called that. A chicken must have Leghorn parents to be a Leghorn. A Sussex and a Plymouth Rock together would only create a hybrid. As I stated before, the Pearl Stars (this is a better name for them—drop the "Leghorn") were probably labeled as Leghorns to get customers to buy them, as Leghorns are popular for their extreme egg production.

Your chickens are not Leghorns, that is pure mislabeling and they should not be called that. A chicken must have Leghorn parents to be a Leghorn. A Sussex and a Plymouth Rock together would only create a hybrid. As I stated before, the Pearl Stars (this is a better name for them—drop the "Leghorn") were probably labeled as Leghorns to get customers to buy them, as Leghorns are popular for their extreme egg production.
I expect you are correct, totally agree. A little research proves this. I have 8 brown leghorn pullets and even their body shape is different when they were the same age. I think they shouldn't be allowed to deliberately mislabel things. I'm a hobbyist only, but many folks, esp in my area, are buying for subsistence farming. It makes a difference to them if the chicken doesn't lay as heavily as a leghorn would!

Back
Top Bottom