Trying to decide- repair/upgrade coop that came with the house or start from scratch?

craig87c

Chirping
Feb 1, 2023
Vermont
Hey everyone! Got my chicks purchased (six Rhode Island Reds) and now that it isn't -40F/C outside, I went to take a look at the coop that came with the house when I bought it a year ago. The run is about 10ft/3m by 11ft/3.3m, while the coop itself is TECHNICALLY about 8ft by 4ft. However, the coop is divided in the middle, one of the coops has no access to the outside from the run. It is awfully drafty, and would really require all new doors/hardware and a hardware cloth skirt to prevent predator attacks- I have a large raccoon, skunks, weasels, hawks, snakes, possums, and probably a bunch of others I've forgotten about. Needs more ventilation, but there's a lot of empty space at the top that could be cut for that purpose. There's no easy way to clean bedding in the coop- unless I start hacking the frame up to make it scoopable since I plan on using deep litter for composting. It looks to be VERY drafty, so there'd have to be some serious sealing going on to keep the flock toasty warm and dry in the winters up here.

I'm somewhat handy and I enjoy the process of building things. If I don't know how to do it, I can certainly learn. So right now, I'm checking with the experts here at BYC- given the situation, would you prefer to build a coop/run from scratch, or repair what might need a lotta work? Photos included are of the run, and a few of the inside of "both" coops. Apologies for all the snow- we just got a couple inches last night!

Attachments

• IMG_6768.JPG
    IMG_6768.JPG
    949.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6767.JPG
    IMG_6767.JPG
    823.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6766.JPG
    IMG_6766.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6765.JPG
    IMG_6765.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6764.JPG
    IMG_6764.JPG
    911.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6763.JPG
    IMG_6763.JPG
    762.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6762.JPG
    IMG_6762.JPG
    953.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6761.JPG
    IMG_6761.JPG
    983.2 KB · Views: 25
Unless it’s in the exact spot you wanted for a new coop, I’d leave it as is and do a little repair to it, and some predator proofing. Drafts are ok if the roost are pretty draft free. Yes, cut open and secure some upper ventilation (and keep them from roosting in the rafters if you dont want them there). It looks like a decent coop and run overall. By using it for a year with your actual chickens you will learn what you like and don’t like, and how you prefer to do things. Then if you decide to go for a new cooo then you’ll be better able to make one to fit your needs and preferences.

By using it for a year with your actual chickens you will learn what you like and don’t like, and how you prefer to do things. Then if you decide to go for a new cooo then you’ll be better able to make one to fit your needs and preferences.
x2. Great suggestion. You may find it works for you with minimal changes (I would at least ensure that it's as predator proof as possible, the drafts shouldn't be too much of an issue once spring hits, or maybe you find there isn't as much draft issue as you think?), or maybe you end up finding out the location, set up, etc. doesn't work for you at all and you'd rather redo the entire thing, but it gives you time to try it out.

Unless it’s in the exact spot you wanted for a new coop, I’d leave it as is and do a little repair to it, and some predator proofing. Drafts are ok if the roost are pretty draft free. Yes, cut open and secure some upper ventilation (and keep them from roosting in the rafters if you dont want them there). It looks like a decent coop and run overall. By using it for a year with your actual chickens you will learn what you like and don’t like, and how you prefer to do things. Then if you decide to go for a new cooo then you’ll be better able to make one to fit your needs and preferences.

x2. Great suggestion. You may find it works for you with minimal changes (I would at least ensure that it's as predator proof as possible, the drafts shouldn't be too much of an issue once spring hits, or maybe you find there isn't as much draft issue as you think?), or maybe you end up finding out the location, set up, etc. doesn't work for you at all and you'd rather redo the entire thing, but it gives you time to try it out.

This is such a common sense answer I'm embarassed that I didn't think about it- even though it is EXACTLY what I did with my actual house. Use what I have for a while until I figure out if I hate it or not. Gives me a lot more time to worry about designing a hoop coop tractor anyway!

I agree, fix it up and use it for a while to see what does and doesn't suit you.

Note: "Draft-free" doesn't mean no air movement at all. It means no breeze strong enough to ruffle the birds' feathers when they're sitting on their roost.

There's no need to completely seal up the walls completely as long as they're not letting the wind in.

I agree, fix it up and use it for a while to see what does and doesn't suit you.

Note: "Draft-free" doesn't mean no air movement at all. It means no breeze strong enough to ruffle the birds' feathers when they're sitting on their roost.

There's no need to completely seal up the walls completely as long as they're not letting the wind in.

There's a lot of good looking lumber there and it looks decently built. If it were me I'd work with what was there already.

Seems like a solid base.

Ditto x3 you'll have such a better idea what you want after working with the existing coop. It looks decent enough to me. You may end up wanting 2 coops :eek: someday. One for babies and sick chickens and a main coop. ! If chicken math hits you especially! Tee hee hee

Thanks so much everyone. I found what I think is a good deal from home depot- 300ft of HWC for under $300- 20 gauge 1/4". Should be able to give me an apron all around the coop along with mostly covering the walls. I'll get some netting to keep the hawks and bald eagles from getting snacks from the run. I think I'll build a tractor to let them free range with some restrictions...like keeping them outta my garden!

I found what I think is a good deal from home depot- 300ft of HWC for under $300- 20 gauge 1/4".

1/4" isn't the best option unless your primary problem is mice.

1/2" hardware cloth is usually made from a thicker, stronger wire, which makes it better because raccoons and some other stronger predators can rip through the finer wire used in the 1/4" hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom