Trouble with hatching specific breeds (chickens)

friednotscrambled

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jun 25, 2019
I have a brinsea incubator which has functioned perfectly for several 'hatches'. I have had chukar, duck, and chicken eggs mailed to me - all took about 5-6 days in transit.

First was 75 chukar, which I got 60% hatch rate, then 12 duck eggs, also 60% hatch rate... Then 3 different 'batches' of deathlayer eggs, totalling 39 from 2 different breeders over 3 different shipments (NPIP certified) with only 25% hatch rate. Most of the deathlayer eggs simply did not develop at all. The first batch was 15 eggs, 5 hatched. Second batch was 10 eggs, 3 hatched (these were given to me as free because the first group had such a low hatch rate). The last shipment (just hatched) 14 eggs and 2 hatched.

Is this a breed thing? I don't understand why the percentage could be so low as compared to the chukar and the ducks.... I always heard ducks were the most difficult and yet they did equally as well as the chukar.

All I want is a rooster, so really hoping one of the two that just hatched is a cockerel.

Last edited:
Thank you. I wondered if that might be the case. Not enough of a gene pool in the states.

The eggs that just hatched were from a breeder that claims to have culled her flock so that they are more robust/healthy birds and a 'higher' hatch rate (whatever that means? LOL) .. alas, the eggs I got from her had the lowest hatch rate of the three groups ....

given that the two cockerels from last summer did not survive to adulthood, I wonder if their problem was also genetic in nature.

I have a brinsea incubator which has functioned perfectly for several 'hatches'. I have had chukar, duck, and chicken eggs mailed to me - all took about 5-6 days in transit.

First was 75 chukar, which I got 60% hatch rate, then 12 duck eggs, also 60% hatch rate... Then 3 different 'batches' of deathlayer eggs, totalling 39 from 2 different breeders over 3 different shipments (NPIP certified) with only 25% hatch rate. Most of the deathlayer eggs simply did not develop at all. The first batch was 15 eggs, 5 hatched. Second batch was 10 eggs, 3 hatched (these were given to me as free because the first group had such a low hatch rate). The last shipment (just hatched) 14 eggs and 2 hatched.

Is this a breed thing? I don't understand why the percentage could be so low as compared to the chukar and the ducks.... I always heard ducks were the most difficult and yet they did equally as well as the chukar.

All I want is a rooster, so really hoping one of the two that just hatched is a cockerel.
Which two breeders did you buy from?

Which two breeders did you buy from?

I will be darned if I can remember where I got the first two - somewhere in NC or SC? (not greefire) - second from Country Haven Farm in OH. I told them of the hatching issues, so they are aware, at least of that. I would recommend people buy live chicks, if they REALLY want to save themselves some money. I'd be far ahead, if I had done that (financially).. Hatching is fun - when it works!

If the issue is in breed genetics I imagine it will take a few years to sort things out.

I will be darned if I can remember where I got the first two - somewhere in NC or SC? (not greefire) - second from Country Haven Farm in OH. I told them of the hatching issues, so they are aware, at least of that. I would recommend people buy live chicks, if they REALLY want to save themselves some money. I'd be far ahead, if I had done that (financially).. Hatching is fun - when it works!

If the issue is in breed genetics I imagine it will take a few years to sort things out.

GFF just imported the Gold version too. If you can get ahold of those, they might be better. But being a new import, they are of course pricey at the moment.

The problem is BS breeders. All incubators suck too. There’s nothing better than a hen.

GFF just imported the Gold version too. If you can get ahold of those, they might be better. But being a new import, they are of course pricey at the moment.

Thanks! I have seen them and they are certainly beautiful birds.

The problem is BS breeders. All incubators suck too. There’s nothing better than a hen.

Hi Bob,

I am sure there are bad breeders and good breeders and that there is nothing better than a hen - don't have a broody hen at the moment, although it is pretty tempting to get one!

Back
Top Bottom