Treats?

Mine like mini marshmellows... it is hilarious... they will actually jump for them and chase each other around... not the healthiest treats, but alls good in moderation... safflower seeds are good to, but not as entertaining...

There are a whole range of treats listed on Buff Hooligan's (I think it is the correct person) page.

One of my girls favorite treats is the organic greens we planted in the fall and let them stay all winter--turnips, collards, kale, rape, mustard, radishes, etc. I would pull them up by the bucket full and stuff them into their suet cages every morning... gone by lunch...

I also give them premium birdseed that has nuts, berries, oats and seeds (no corn), that has a protein of 11%, for them to scratch around for.. I purchase live crickets at the bait shop and mealworms they LOVE them...

Last summer, they got all our tomatoes, squash, melons, fruit and berries that were not fit for us.. bugs, bad spots etc. and for the first time I didn't mind 'discarding' those fruits and veggies!! When we harvested our corn--they got all the worms/buggy ends.. we don't use pesticides or chemicals...so it was a win-win ...

My birds jump out of their feathers for Romaine lettuce.... I have a string hanging in the coop just out of reach, where I tie heads of romaine or cabbage halfs. They really like to jump up and snap at these favorite treats.

It's good food as-well-as good exercise in the winter, now they are free-ranging all afternoon and evening.

depending on how big they are you can give them little worms and watch "chicken football". If they are to small then well they can eat worms and if they are to big then it's no competition. But once they are big enough to eat stuff like that lay a worm between two and watch, it's hilarious because they take the worm and rip it out of each others mouths and it goes on for a whil. Don't worry, it doesn't get aggressive.

Cherry tomatoes are fun. They roll them all over fumbling over each other for them. I give them grains that I mix myself, every morning. Last week they got a couple T-bone steak bones. Oh man the games were on!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom