Treats for 2 week olds?

The chickens will eat pretty much anything you give them. Grapes, raisins, fruit, veggies, grass, worms, other insects, cereal... As for mine, cooked egg was always a favourite treat. ;)

We have never used grit. I have heard that it isn't necessary for young chicks, but don't trust my judgement on the matter. :lol:

During their second week I will give them crushed cheerios. Just the regular ones, not Honey Nut. I put a handful of them in a plastic bag and then crush them with a rolling pin. I pour it in my hand to feed it to them. They have grit available for a day or two before I start giving them the cheerios.

I have 3 day old Redstars, two week old Bo's, and nearly 3 week old RIR's and I can testify that they all love crumbled up microwave popcorn. It's exceedingly funny watching them grab a chunk and go running for the corner while being chased by the others. The sad part is, there's a pile of it available right below them. They seem to prefer trying to steal it from others, rather than to just pick up a piece of their own.... LOL

Mine have tried strawberries and egg yolk. They also have been outside and enjoyed grass, bugs and worms (that we dug up for them).

After reading this thread, I just tried to give my chicks (between one an two weeks old) some cooked egg crumbles, organic bread crumbs and some apple.
The apple was a big fail, they all tasted it, and then shook thier heads like it was poison, LOL Which is funny, cause my parrots do that when they dont like something theyve just tasted, LOL

The bread and the egg was a hit though! Theu wouldnt take it directly from my hands, but they would take it from the ground of thier brooder :)

Hi there!

I mixed Yogurt with the medicated feed and fed to my chicks with a spoon LOL - they loved it!!!!!! Mine are 5 weeks today and are spoiled and absolutely wonderful. I have had them outside as well - 2 weeks ago I started meal worms as well. They are Happy Chicks! Chicks gone wild when they get their yogurt mix with medicated feed. :)

Oh yes and I also gave them scrambled eggs....I read that is perfectly fine!..I didn't cook with butter or any seasons....

I'll second the yogurt. Good for them and they go wild after they realize it tastes good! I also try to limit their treats at this time because I want them to eat more chick starter. Your post is much older now so it's almost time to be able to give other treats.

Back
Top Bottom