casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
Disclaimer - There are no FDA approved drugs for treating tapeworms in poultry, so please consult with your vet and figure out what the withdrawal time is.

Praziquantel is the best drug to treat tapeworms in poultry. Dose is 10 mg/kg (4.54 mg per pound) once repeat in 10-14 days.

Available products
  • Thomas labs make a powder and capsules that are just praziquantel. I need to do the math on this.
  • MedPet make MEDIWORM for pigeons which is praziquantel and pyrantel pamoate.
  • Droncit may be used, but will be very expensive!
  • Wormout Gel has 20 mg/ml Praziquantel, 20 mg/ml Oxfendazole. Dose is 0.23 ml per pound or 1.14 ml per five pounds.
  • Equimax horse paste has 140.3 mg/ml Praziquantel, 18.7 mg/ml ivermectin. Dose is ~0.033 ml per pound, or 0.16 ml per five pounds.
  • Zimectrin Gold horse paste 77.5 mg/ml Praziquantel, 15.5 mg/ml ivermectin. Dose is ~0.06 ml per pound or 0.3 ml per five pounds

Last edited:
Ha! And I thought it was Albendazol. So glad you are helping with this.
There are two studies that say both albendazole and fenbendazole will treat the common chicken tapeworm, but many people here and other forums didn't have much luck. All of my veterinary references say to use praziquantel.

Thank you for sharing this info.
You said the dose is 10mg/kg but base on the different brands are different doses. What Praziquantel are you referring to when you said 10mg/kg
Do I need to know exactly how much my hens weight or I can take a guess? 14 months old EE, she fells light....

I have a case of tapeworm, I tried albendozale and few months later (6 month approximately) I found round worm so I used Wazine (30 days ago, the repeat treatment). Now I found again tapeworm in a dropping and in another dropping maybe a different hen a thin small (like a little hair moving) worm. I was going to go now Safeguard but I don't know what to do. Should I try Praziquantel? Equimax horse paste? how do you apply? I am not sure how much my hen weight she is 14 months, how much should I give her?
Also, Am I treating them to much for worms to soon? I know to prevent you do it 2 times a year but if I see worms... should I treat them immediately?

THANKSSSSS

Disclaimer - There are no FDA approved drugs for treating tapeworms in poultry, so please consult with your vet and figure out what the withdrawal time is.

Praziquantel is the best drug to treat tapeworms in poultry. Dose is 10 mg/kg (4.54 mg per pound) once repeat in 10-14 days.

Available products
  • Thomas labs make a powder and capsules that are just praziquantel. I need to do the math on this.
  • MedPet make MEDIWORM for pigeons which is praziquantel and pyrantel pamoate.
  • Droncit may be used, but will be very expensive!
  • Wormout Gel has 20 mg/ml Praziquantel, 20 mg/ml Oxfendazole. Dose is 0.23 ml per pound or 1.14 ml per five pounds.
  • Equimax horse paste has 140.3 mg/ml Praziquantel, 18.7 mg/ml ivermectin. Dose is ~0.033 ml per pound, or 0.16 ml per five pounds.
  • Zimectrin Gold horse paste 77.5 mg/ml Praziquantel, 15.5 mg/ml ivermectin. Dose is ~0.06 ml per pound or 0.3 ml per five pounds

old EE and feels light.

Thank you for sharing this info.
You said the dose is 10mg/kg but base on the different brands are different doses. What Praziquantel are you referring to when you said 10mg/kg
Do I need to know exactly how much my hens weight or I can take a guess? 14 months old EE, she fells light....

I have a case of tapeworm, I tried albendozale and few months later (6 month approximately) I found round worm so I used Wazine (30 days ago, the repeat treatment). Now I found again tapeworm in a dropping and in another dropping maybe a different hen a thin small (like a little hair moving) worm. I was going to go now Safeguard but I don't know what to do. Should I try Praziquantel? Equimax horse paste? how do you apply? I am not sure how much my hen weight she is 14 months, how much should I give her?
Also, Am I treating them to much for worms to soon? I know to prevent you do it 2 times a year but if I see worms... should I treat them immediately?

THANKSSSSS

old EE and feels light.
Assume that a big fat EE weighs about 6 pounds and the try to guess what your hen weighs.

Have you decided which product you want to use?

Fenbendazole will kill some types of tapeworms if dosed correctly for the right number of days. It won't kill all tapeworm species though, so depending on what your birds have it will be ineffective. Praziquantel kills all tapes (as far as I know) and is a one dose treatment, but not approved for poultry.
I haven't looked to see if there's research showing issues with long concentrations in the egg yolks, or if there's insufficient research. Birds who visit wetlands and eat snails and crayfish, for example, are more at risk. Commercial flocks, indoors all the time, and short lived, aren't likely to have such issues. That's where research money comes from, not from those of us with small backyard flocks.
So far my birds haven't had issues with intestinal parasites, wonderful!
Mary

Prior to using using albendazole and praziquantel, I used fenbendazole against tapeworms and it was ineffective.
Albendazole is effective in treating tapeworms IF:
Keep your birds penned and withhold feed for 24 hours.
Increase valbazen dosage 2 times the normal amount given for 3 days straight and repeat this procedure in 10 days.

Personally I like giving the z-gold or equimax for tapeworms. It takes less dosage and less time to kill tapeworms than valbazen, also less chance of aspirating the bird with so much liquid unless it's tubed.
I still withhold feed for 24 hours using either of the paste wormers for tapeworms only.

Back
Top Bottom