Traumatized Hen

Chicken Man Can

Chirping
Nov 27, 2022
She was being pecked to pieces by the other 5 so I have her separate. Its been about 3 days, and I was wondering how long it takes them to get over what happened? She barely eats and if I let her out she runs away from the main coop, even if the other birds are locked in, and will typically hide behind a tree out of site of them. She won't forage when let out either.

I think it's not so much a psychological matter as a continued state of danger. Animals are hardwired to survive (us too).
3 days and a solo reintegration doesn't sound like enough intervention, sorry. You should match her up with a good natured friend, let them get used to each other and then reintegrate together.

You'll also want to be certain of the cause of the original attack. Do you have a bully that starts stuff?

I think it's not so much a psychological matter as a continued state of danger. Animals are hardwired to survive (us too).
3 days and a solo reintegration doesn't sound like enough intervention, sorry. You should match her up with a good natured friend, let them get used to each other and then reintegrate together.

You'll also want to be certain of the cause of the original attack. Do you have a bully that starts stuff?

I know 3 days isn't enough. She has no one else, the coop I managed to scrap together for her is also an isolation unit. She was being attacked by at least three of the other 5 birds we have. Two top hens and one who I assume is just below them. She is the very bottom of the pecking order, and has always been put in her place and never fights back. Another in the flock also has clipped feathers along her neck. The meek ones got mobbed, mostly her, when they were cooped for a few days in a row (I didn't have time to release them). My plan from here is to let her heal in isolation as I know wounds can trigger more pecking, then I will get a seed block and maybe some other distractions for the flock so they have something to peck on besides each other. Then I will put her back in and closely monitor how they react to her.

Sometimes having them in a wire dog crate near the other birds is a good way to keep things as they are. When they are removed from the flock for days, it can make it worse to reintegrate them. Do you let them free range daily? How much room do they have? Are there hiding places room to get away from each other? What type of feed are you using? What are the breeds?

Sometimes having them in a wire dog crate near the other birds is a good way to keep things as they are. When they are removed from the flock for days, it can make it worse to reintegrate them. Do you let them free range daily? How much room do they have? Are there hiding places room to get away from each other? What type of feed are you using? What are the breeds?
Yes daily free range, but when the incident happened didn't have the chance to let them out for a few. It's probably 70 sq foot coop / run, with an additional loft. No hiding places. Layer pellets and left overs. Breeds are a variety of high producers.

Most pecking and bullying problems are a result of boredom, not getting outside to roam, too little room, too much light in nesting areas, too little protein, and some breeds or a single chicken may be more aggressive. Spending time to watch for a bully, especially if she is allowed some time with them, may identify a bully. Make sure that she is not doing something herself to attract pecking, such as limping or other unusual behavior. Hopefully when she heals, they will accept her, but I would leave her crate in the coop and run so she can still be a part of the flock.

Most pecking and bullying problems are a result of boredom, not getting outside to roam, too little room, too much light in nesting areas, too little protein, and some breeds or a single chicken may be more aggressive. Spending time to watch for a bully, especially if she is allowed some time with them, may identify a bully. Make sure that she is not doing something herself to attract pecking, such as limping or other unusual behavior. Hopefully when she heals, they will accept her, but I would leave her crate in the coop and run so she can still be a part of the flock.

I have deduced boredom as the cause. Today I decided to try and let them all out at the same time. One of the bullies approached her slowly, I was optimistic, but then she attacked and the victim ran to my neighbor's orchard. I corralled her back, and another bully did the same thing, slow approach, they vocalized to each other, but then the bully had a mouth full of black feathers 😥. Why are they still so aggressive to her, even when free ranging? She was far away even when the second bully approached her, she purposely made her way to her to attack. I've seen at least 4 of the 5 flock attack her, no isolated bully. Unfortunately there is no crate, I had to make a make shift mini-coop, and its outside the main one. She likes it in there, but of course that's not way for her to live.

I've decided on making a chicken tractor to curb boredom, that way they can free range all day. The trick now is, making them one flock again.

They will attract another if they have been separated from the flock. It is best to separate a picked on chicken with the flock inside a wire dog crate.
Ah I see. I have her make-shift coop supported by metal posts. I'll screw it together, ditch the posts, then put the contraption inside the coop. It's raining here, it should stop in a couple days so I can do this. Thanks for the info.

Update. I moved her mini-coop into the main coop, they are curious about it but not trying to attack her. When they came across the same coop whilst free ranging they would still try to attack her through the front. I guess this way they feel she is part of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom