transferring chicks to pen

creekrocket

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Savannah, Ga
I Just Moved My Week Old Chicks To Their New Home. The Pen Is As Big As My Other One, That Houses Their Parents. Its 8 X 3 X 2, And I've Got It With A Gravity Fed Water System Using Water Nipples.
These Little Birds Are Growing At Record Speed! And They Are Poop Machines!!

IMG950055_zps1a770054.jpg

First Night Outside And Everyone Looks To Be Doing Good. My Temps In The Day Here In Savannah Are More Than Warm...The Nights Get To Be In The Lower 70`S At Most.

The pen looks great! I'm going to start building a new one for my quail in the morning.

Almost Two Weeks Outside, And My Children Are Doing Great. I'm My Opinion, Just In Case Everyone Was Wondering, ItWas Perfectly Ok To Move These Young Guys Outside One Week After Hatch. Our Temps In The Day Are In The 90`S During The Day And High 70`S At Night. I've Got A Light On Them Constantly, But Will Be Taking It Down Soon.
Hope This Info Helps.

Probably don't need the light during the day just at night. I raise mine on half inch hardware cloth so the poop goes through the wire onto corrugated metal then to the compost.

Probably don't need the light during the day just at night. I raise mine on half inch hardware cloth so the poop goes through the wire onto corrugated metal then to the compost.

Question Quail people.

I was trying to find this answer by looking at various postings but cant find it or know how to word for a search.

When placing quail in a pen like this one do they tend to try and fly out when you come in and/or, do they frantically fly up and have the possibility of injuring them self?

The reason I asked is I just hatched 70 Coturnix and put them in my old chicken coop (made a new coop on the other side of the property for the chickens) The coop is 10'x10'x8' tall.

Thanks in advance,

Don

My bobs just move to the far side of the pen when I go in. I move slow and let them all get over there so they don't freak out. They will stay there while I change their water and fill their food. They don't fly unless I try to catch them or corner them.

Back
Top Bottom