Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Still a ways awaiting on my first egg from TeJae. Her comb's getting a little pinker and bigger and wattles just starting to grow. (Hatched end of Sept)

Of the bird or the egg?
hu.gif

The chicken now and the egg later.

I love to see pictures. I will post some of mine tonight or tomorrow. they are starting to figure out the vertical nipple water fountain too. Smart little things.

Taken this morning in the (messy) coop

I don't know. How do you tell?

Good Question!

I thought it said on the egg carton but I just looked at the cartons from the last hatch and do not see where they came from now.

Maybe mine did not come from Sonoma this time. Two years ago the carton said Sonoma.

Alright so....bad news on the Whole Foods Eggs.

i think they were in the fridge to long. i candled last night and tossed all 14 in my bator. OH candled and tossed i dont know what cause i had to go to bed.

We are going to try another trip down soon....and see if we can call and order eggs first. Other people have been saying Whole Foods will let you order eggs in for pick-up so their fresh. Seems the way to go because you can get them the day they are laid or the day after, depending ho0w close the farm is. Ours is in Wiconsin...Supplying all of Michigan.

We had two hatched by SERAMAS who went broody (one hen per egg/chick) - our Leghorn (or Cal White) was only fooling and wasn't really broody.

So we only got three of the eggs to hatch indoors for five chicks (moving from cold outside to incubator too late, probably, to get a decent hatch rate). One had a mishap and died - our fault - feel bad about it, but they are so delicate. Looks like 2 are cockerels and 2 are pullets.

The ones out w/ the Seramas got bigger than their mamas fast, and the Seramas turned on them. So sad. Started pecking and pulling feathers. We saved them in time and have them in a brooder now. We never had that issue w/ the Seramas hatching their own eggs, back when we had a Serama rooster. I guess the chicks were so big that the Seramas freaked out.

That's pretty cool, misfitmorgan, I didn't know whole foods did that! As Steemroo said, our seramas turned on their chicks, yet they were upset when I took them out of their coop. I don't know what's in their heads, LOL. But the boy was getting a bloody butt and both of them had lots of feathers pulled out. I saw their mothers pecking at them, and being mean (human interpretation, as I think something else drove them to peck at 'em) Anyway, they're happily in the house now. I'm actually hoping we have 3 girls. Our one boy has quite a comb on him, and the other 3 are much smaller. So fingers crossed! We lost 3 hens this year, and I'd like to replace them with these that we hatched!

I won't let seramas raise big chicks again. These babes are only 4 1/2 weeks old. Way too young to be weaned. They couldn't care for themselves or defend themselves. It was quite sad.

Alright so....bad news on the Whole Foods Eggs.

i think they were in the fridge to long. i candled last night and tossed all 14 in my bator. OH candled and tossed i dont know what cause i had to go to bed.

We are going to try another trip down soon....and see if we can call and order eggs first. Other people have been saying Whole Foods will let you order eggs in for pick-up so their fresh. Seems the way to go because you can get them the day they are laid or the day after, depending ho0w close the farm is. Ours is in Wiconsin...Supplying all of Michigan.

1f61f.png
So sorry to hear that. Hope you are able to get some hatchables next time.

Back
Top Bottom