To be or not to be... a pullet- what gender and Breed? (8-ish wk old EE and Buff)

Ychicks

In the Brooder
May 14, 2024
Hello All,

Would appreciate some help in figuring out the breed and gender of our flock. For our older flock, we got a mix of eggs which we incubated and hatched ourselves. My guess is that we have two buffs (Bo and Fuzzy- the cream and orange hens in the pic below), one sex link (panther- brown) and no idea of the 4th (black and white).

For our new additions, we went the store bought route and asked for one buff and an EE. (Melly and Easter). They are both about 7-8 week old. (though Melly was and still is pretty big for her age, though we were told they were 1-2 days old at the time of purchase). Due to ordinance purposes, we unfortunately cannot have Roosters (Sorry, Roos) and are curious as to the sex and breed of the two newbies to the flock. (I am particularly suspicious of Easter (the white EE). Any Assistance is appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

• 20211203_085046.jpg
    20211203_085046.jpg
    798.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Easter and Melly.jpg
    Easter and Melly.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Easter.jpg
    Easter.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Hens.jpg
    Hens.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Physical indicators can be deceptive before "male" or "female" becomes obvious. Behavior can be a clue; the last roo chick I had (accidental, like all the other "pullet" chicks I've purchased) was busy and bossy while they were still in the brooder. Of course, blond and brassy buff Orpingtons are often that way as hens.:)

Good luck, and have fun! I hope you're able to rehome any boys to someone who isn't just interested in stew.

Your older hens are all mixed breeds.

It's actually Melly that looks more like a male to me. That comb is very large for 8 weeks.

Easter is kind of in between, but looks more like a pullet at this point.
Thank you for responding. I have a suspicion that Melly was much older than a day old when we got her because s/he was quite big - (much bigger and more mature looking than the others in fact) and definitely bigger than Easter. I have a feeling s/he is much older than 8 weeks for sure. Fingers and toes crossed its a SHE. 🧐

Alas, @JedJackson, you were correct. Melly is starting to show signs of being a "Mel." He has started making attempts to crow along with other signs. I wrote this post because I was worried about Easter and it turns out it was Melly I should have been worried about all along. 😞 Life is so funny.

Anyway, unfortunately, we cannot keep him as we are not allowed to have Roos. So, if there is anyone who lives in MD and in need of a handsome Orpington Roo, please reach out. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom