TINY call duckling, 3 weeks old..won't grow..what do I do???

Serama Mama 4

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 27, 2010
We bought 3 call ducklings and were asked if we would take the tiny runt and try to raise it. We said sure and it has lived thus far and does alright but the other 3 grow and this one has grown very little if at all. Is it a dwarf? is it sickly? Can i give it something to help it be healthier? Don't bother telling me to cull it....I won't cull the call! The plucky little thing has survived for 3 weeks and I just want to know if there is anything else that I can do to help it be healthy. We are feeding them game bird starter.

Aww poor little guy. If it isnt acting sick or in pain or anything I DEFF would NOT cull it. Maybe buy some vitamin packs from the local farm store and give it that? Maybe it does have a genetic issue. WHen its older and still the same size just keep it in a bird cage j/k!

Sounds like maybe the others hogged the food and this one didn't get enough nutrition? Yeah, i wouldn't cull either, just encourage it to eat and maybe like someone else said offer extra vitamins and more protein.

I wouldn't cull it, either, especially if it's otherwise doing OK. It may be small for a variety of reasons that are hard to determine. I would make sure it's getting enough to eat and drink and keep it warm. I don't think you can do much else unless you take it to a vet and check to see if it has anything like a heart condition or something else that stunts his growth.

I remember one duckling that got hurt and sick one time and ended up growing a lot slower than normal. He did end up catching up, but it took him much longer to do so.

It has good access to the food but I have noticed that it doesn't seem quite as savvy about eating, it seems to spend a lot of its time drinking water with food in it instead of grabbing mouthfuls of food like the others. The others are very good with it. I find them sleeping in a group with the tiny one always on the top of the pile, right on someone's back. But I worry as the size disparity grows, will they accidently squash it?

Quote:
maybe the little guy has swallowing issues which make dabbling with food easier than eating it dry. let him eat all the wet food he wants. don't know what to tell you about the big guys squashing it someday.
if this little guy remains tiny when it should be fully grown and you fear for it, and think you need to rehome it, please keep my email handy. I have a couple of call ducks in my home, cripples that cannot move about very well, and a tiny might fit in well at that time, guess we would both have to see if it is the right situation. In the meantime, good luck with your tiny and hope it works out!

fl.gif
pics please..

Back
Top Bottom