throat swab

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
how far down do i have to swab in my ducks throat to do a test swab to mail to a lab? it says to do her throat first and then also her cloaca and it says 1/2 inch inside cloaca but gives no instruction on how far in her throat . i’m supposed to get the sample in the morning so I can mail it.

Trachea, just below the cloaca. Press upwards with the swab and twist up against the roof of the cloaca as you withdraw. There is usually a pocket of pus in the roof of the mouth, that is the goo they want for testing.
i’m sorry i’m confused - -isn’t the cloaca the egg and poop hole at the rear and of the duck ?and trachea is in the ducks
mouth /throat, what do you mean by “trachea just below cloaca? “

i’m sorry i’m confused - -isn’t the cloaca the egg and poop hole at the rear and of the duck ?and trachea is in the ducks
mouth /throat, what do you mean by “trachea just below cloaca? “
You are correct, I was thinking choanal in the roof of the mouth.
1708959968266.png

If they want you to stick it in the ducks butt I have no experience with that.

You are correct, I was thinking choanal in the roof of the mouth. View attachment 3757716
If they want you to stick it in the ducks butt I have no experience with that.
ok i understand now. yeah they want me to first get a sample from throat and then it says to use the same swab in the cloaca . I would have though 2 separate swabs would be better . I called them and waiting to hear back. just want to make sure i do it right since it costs a pretty penny

Back
Top Bottom