Thoughts on lattice?

Greaner_pastures

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
CT
Recently I came across some plastic lattice. I was wondering what people with experience in predators thinking is about maybe putting the lattice on one side and if it would possibly work but maybe also save me a little hardware cloth?

TYIA!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 511
You may not have predators that are easily visible, but you do have them. Possums, skunks, weasels, snakes are likely lurking somewhere in your neighborhood and all can easily slink through lattice and love chicken dinners.

I use lattice like that for other purposes. I toss them on the run metal roof in summer to cut down on the heat coming through from the sun. They are useful cut down to small pieces as partitions on the roosting perches to keep roosting time much more peaceful.

You may not have predators that are easily visible, but you do have them. Possums, skunks, weasels, snakes are likely lurking somewhere in your neighborhood and all can easily slink through lattice and love chicken dinners.

I use lattice like that for other purposes. I toss them on the run metal roof in summer to cut down on the heat coming through from the sun. They are useful cut down to small pieces as partitions on the roosting perches to keep roosting time much more peaceful.
Oh yea I definetly have all those predators besides maybe weasels, but I was thinking of using it about 5 feet up on my
Run as like a spot in the run for ventilation, just below where the roof starts. Would thag still be a big weakness for ground predators to get through you think? If so I’ll probably switch my
Tactic and use it inside to help contain the chickens and just continue as planned with hardware cloth.

Or I can use it to block off my nest boxes, which is inspired by your comment about using it as partitions

Not sure if house sparrows are an issue in your area but they can definitely fly through that and potentially access your chicken feed
That is a good point. I decided to do hardware cloth all around.

Attachments

• 413DD23B-A487-4104-AB1A-EEE8144850F9.jpeg
    413DD23B-A487-4104-AB1A-EEE8144850F9.jpeg
    381.9 KB · Views: 2
  • E40E3469-E50E-46EA-BD3E-2E95C7D05AF3.jpeg
    E40E3469-E50E-46EA-BD3E-2E95C7D05AF3.jpeg
    827.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom