This is what happens when you release your ducks in the wild

needlessjunk

Crowing
7 Years
May 19, 2014
Georgetown, TX
So there is a park we visit and someone let their "pet" ducks go there. These poor guys! I feel so bad and compelled to help but I'm afraid to risk the safety of my flock because someone though they would be able to survive on their own. A few days ago I saw them and they are friendly but in bad, bad shape. Their eyes look horrible and they are scraggly looking. We went fishing today and now one can barely walk and had its face in a tree with its butt in the air. We though he was going to die on the spot. I don't know how to help them since I cannot put my flock at risk. It makes me so mad that people do this. I hope that anyone who reads this and is thinking about just releasing their ducks will instead find a home for them or culls them. It is unfair to allow them to suffer. I also believe someone else release a spare drake since it is off on its own and I venture to guess someone also released their geese. I find it hard to believe 3 different domestic breeds would appear at the same time and be a unified friendly flock.

So there is a park we visit and someone let their "pet" ducks go there. These poor guys! I feel so bad and compelled to help but I'm afraid to risk the safety of my flock because someone though they would be able to survive on their own. A few days ago I saw them and they are friendly but in bad, bad shape. Their eyes look horrible and they are scraggly looking. We went fishing today and now one can barely walk and had its face in a tree with its butt in the air. We though he was going to die on the spot. I don't know how to help them since I cannot put my flock at risk. It makes me so mad that people do this. I hope that anyone who reads this and is thinking about just releasing their ducks will instead find a home for them or culls them. It is unfair to allow them to suffer. I also believe someone else release a spare drake since it is off on its own and I venture to guess someone also released their geese. I find it hard to believe 3 different domestic breeds would appear at the same time and be a unified friendly flock.

Very heartbreaking do you know of a water fowl rescue in your area? we have one here in NC and they do an awesome work, Alot of ducks and geese released into the wild after being cared for by us most likely starve because they have never had to find food. Very sad someone would be so heartless.

I just wrote a wild life center and while I know that isn't what they handle maybe they will know who I could contact. I could easily catch them and take the 2 pekins in. The other drake is way too afraid of human and looks healthy along with the geese. I can't even image where to start with the geese. The poor pekins though need help ASAP if they are going to make it. Anyone know if there is a waterfowl center of any kind in Austin, TX or the surrounding area?

I just wrote a wild life center and while I know that isn't what they handle maybe they will know who I could contact. I could easily catch them and take the 2 pekins in. The other drake is way too afraid of human and looks healthy along with the geese. I can't even image where to start with the geese. The poor pekins though need help ASAP if they are going to make it. Anyone know if there is a waterfowl center of any kind in Austin, TX or the surrounding area?

Do you have a way to keep them separate from your flock until you can find help for them? maybe a good antibiotic and some good nourishment would help .

Do you have a way to keep them separate from your flock until you can find help for them? maybe a good antibiotic and some good nourishment would help .
No not really. Also my husband put down his foot and said no way, no how would he let them in our yard or house.

Last edited:
Sometimes a veterinarian will be a pass-through for rescues. Wildlife rehabbers, small farms, just thinking out loud.

I posed the question on my FB status.

Last edited:
No not really. Also my husband put down his foot and said no way, no how would he let them in our yard or house.
I can understand his concern just wish you could find some help for the poor things. If you have a vet maybe call them in the morning and see if they know of any rescues in your area. Did you look on line?

I've checked online and the link to the TX rescue on magestic waterfowl no longer works. I did get an email back from the wildlife center and was told there is nothing that can be done. Here is the email I received back

Alicia,

I can offer no help. There is no place that wants domestic/feral ducks, and there is no habitat that is not overrun by ducks already (unless some neighbor or group is actively “managing” that population.
Our organization only works with native wildlife, and I know of no group that works with feral animals other than cats. I have a duck currently roaming my backyard that came in last year too young to identify that I now know was an “Easter” duckling. I have no place to release him.

At a minimum, duck nests should be actively sought and the eggs removed (and replaced with a similar number of store-bought chicken eggs) to keep the population from increasing.

I regret that we cannot offer help for a serious problem.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom