Things you wish you could say

What's a "puffy" battery?
When lithium ion batteries get very old, sooner or later they start to go bad, and some chemical starts to leak in the battery causing it to puff up, and if not dealt with, can eventually destroy the device due to the pressure, and can explode as well.

I looked at the price of batteries for that iPhone. They seem to be around $25. Seems I'm better off buying a more recent used iPhone, even though I might just end up blowing cash on a replacement battery since I want to keep this phone active.

When lithium ion batteries get very old, sooner or later they start to go bad, and some chemical starts to leak in the battery causing it to puff up, and if not dealt with, can eventually destroy the device due to the pressure, and can explode as well.

I looked at the price of batteries for that iPhone. They seem to be around $25. Seems I'm better off buying a more recent used iPhone, even though I might just end up blowing cash on a replacement battery since I want to keep this phone active.
$25 is cheap! Those must've come down as I remember years ago my iPhone that was only a few months old wouldn't hold a charge. Cellcom our provider said it would have cost around $200 to replace had I not been under warranty or insurance or whatever it was I had at the time. Apple sent me a new phone and I returned mine to them, then a few weeks later, we did the swap again. It worked great after that.

$25 is cheap! Those must've come down as I remember years ago my iPhone that was only a few months old wouldn't hold a charge. Cellcom our provider said it would have cost around $200 to replace had I not been under warranty or insurance or whatever it was I had at the time. Apple sent me a new phone and I returned mine to them, then a few weeks later, we did the swap again. It worked great after that.
Relatively cheap compared to then. Not to mention it's a third party part for a decade old phone Apple won't bother fixing. I'll probably end up seeing if I can research it more when I'm not half asleep, since I do want to keep this old phone alive. I use a Android as my daily driver (Pixel 4) and keep the iPhone around since I have friends that use iMessage. I suppose the iPad will have to do for keeping in touch with them for right now.

Back
Top Bottom