Things you wish you could say

FWIW my sole issue is how difficult it can be to read other people’s cursive (not one’s own). I have spent countless hours in museum repositories and archives trying to decipher other people’s cursive scribblings. And I have seen valuable information essentially lost because no one can make heads or tails of the original handwritten documentation. It makes me very grumpy and then I must vent my rage on the internet :lol:

FWIW my sole issue is how difficult it can be to read other people’s cursive (not one’s own). I have spent countless hours in museum repositories and archives trying to decipher other people’s cursive scribblings. And I have seen valuable information essentially lost because no one can make heads or tails of the original handwritten documentation. It makes me very grumpy and then I must vent my rage on the internet :lol:
Im not trying to discredit your anger or vent here. Please don't take it that way but... there is cursive writing and then when people intentionally try to be 'fancy' with their writing, like the "once upon a time' you see in fairytale books etc. When they do try to be creative with their writing style, isn't that called calligraphy? Maybe that is part of why it's so hard to read? ... or they are just sloppy writers and need to carry a typewriter in their pocket !

Vent away, thats what this thread is for! Just don't curse about the cursive or you might get yelled at :)

On that though, machine learning is crazy nowadays. Once you learn someone's style and how they write their letters, one would think that perhaps for someone in your position who has to go thru stuff, that a program could be written that says, ok this is so and so, you type in who it is that is writing.. they write like this... then just scan it and it could OCR and translate it for you. I wish I could code, that'd probably be a million dollar app there

Aaron

Been around for a while, I think they call them Jorts for short, no pun intended, or is it :p

Maybe after paying 60 dollars or so for a pair of pants and ripping the legs up, one just can't get rid of them, so cut the legs off and wear them as shorts??

Agree though, they do look rather ... ugh... but are they worn for fashion, or just as, something to have on while you work in the garden, ish, kind of sort of??

Aaron
No it’s a mistakey, there’s no fashion. Whatever single wanna be man made those must have been really desperate for money

But is it really needed in todays world? I mean everyone just yells at their phones to take notes or whatever other app they use. In a way you can see the OP's point. do we really need it anymore, like the 8 track, or Video Tapes, or Rotary Phone, or Horse and Buggy. Nice for nostalgia and parades but otherwise.....

Aaron
oh no we don’t need it 🤣 I haven’t see paper since the 5th grade

But see, I don’t just carry my phone around with me, and pulling out my laptop to type a few words every time is not very convenient. Plus, you don’t process whatever it is as well as if you just wrote it down by hand.
Back when they proved that the quickest way to forget something was to write it down.

Cursive writing *should* die out.
Cursive helps to make connections from the hand to the brain when writing. People who sign their name in print have a harder time at it than those who write in cursive and its very difficult to watch.
There is a need for cursive handwriting and it is a shame that the education system decided to ditch it.
Sorry, I disagree and usually don't try to be a pain in this thread. But, this subject is one where I see the struggles of young people who haven't been taught handwriting.

Last edited:
Because a lot of people don't take the time to do a thing correctly (script, grammar) it doesn't make it useless. We would have done away with driving by now.
In my field, a lot of nurses learn, then forget the drip calculations because the pumps do the work. But you don't want your RN using some kind of guestimation math when hanging critical drugs if the power goes out. IMHO.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom