Things you wish you could say

I work as a school psychologist and sometimes I just wish parents would take a step back and let their children grow. It's okay for your child to fail. Failure is how we learn. If you swoop in every time there is a whiff of consequences, your child is not going to be functional in the real world.
I used to be a college IT instructor. The older students got it. The younger ones sometimes learned a hard lesson in my class. Just showing up isn't enough. Just doing the work isn't enough. The first day of class I explained, "5 absences, and you fail my class. 1 minute late is a tardy. 3 tardies equals an absence. Your grade is based on X% for homework, X% for attendance, X% for tests, X% for the final. If something is going on, talk to me. I'm far more willing to make an exception for you if you talk to me."

I had one kid cry when he failed my class despite the fact that I was pulling him aside every week and telling him that if he didn't start turning in his work, he was going to fail. I had another fail my class because he couldn't get himself to show up. His mother bought him an electric bike to help him get to class. She rented him an apartment one block away from campus. He was so used to her doing everything for him that he couldn't do anything for himself.

I think that my class may have been the first one some of my students had ever failed. Helicopter parents aren't an issue for a college professor.

I had the advantage of being in my 40's going through Nursing School. A new HS grad sitting behind me in a math class actually whined "Why do I have to know this?" I turned around, in class, and told her "You have to know it to pass the class. I worked all day to afford to come to this class. Now please shut up so I can hear.'

Maybe he was lonely, especially this time of year, you don't know his story.
If he always offers to help, maybe it's his segway into getting to talk with people and not be so lonely. Did you tell him you specifically needed help or did you just assume he could read your mind and knew every part of your life, in which case he'd probably be labeled 'The Nosy Neighbor'.?

Id love to talk but right now, but I really need to get this duck run fixed, do you think you can help with that? If the answer is/was no, then hire someone who can help you, instead of expecting the helpful neighbor to just keep doing what YOU want him to do for free.

Just saying... it sounds like your unhappy because he didn't just keep his mouth shut and keep helping you every time you needed it.. what have you ever done for him? Maybe all he wanted in return, was just someone to talk to... you couldn't even give him that, you were too buried in your needs and demands to consider someone elses situation.

Im speaking from the other end of that coin. You go out of your way to be nice and help people, give them free eggs, free stuff out of your garden, help them with little things around the house, only to find out they talk garbage about you and say all kinds of nasty things about you behind your back, yet in a second will flip around and smile to your face for another free carton of eggs. Don't become that person.

Aaron

Maybe he was lonely, especially this time of year, you don't know his story.
Actually I do know his story. For instance he is working, and in a service industry that provides lots of social contact.

I don't know what kind of neighbourhood you live in. I live on a rural dead-end country road. We all know each other, respect each others privacy and property, but also know we can call on each other when help is needed. No payment is expected.
it sounds like your unhappy
you were too buried in your needs and demands to consider someone elses situation.
You don't know my story either. I am neither going to explain it nor apologize because I didn't meet your standards.

Back
Top Bottom