Thin egg shell, breaking in nesting box, but has oyster shells

Penguingirl216

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2023
I have an approximate 1 year old hen (not sure of breed, possibly Dominique possibly a Cuckoo Maran) who has always laid really large eggs compared to my other chickens (different breeds) but recently she's had really thin eggs and many are breaking in the nesting box before I collect. They have oyster shell readily available to them and their feed is Purina with oyster shell included in the feed (like below). Im not sure what else I can do for her. I've read on other threads that maybe there are calcium supplements? Or any other ideas? She seems totally healthy and fine otherwise. Are there ways to only give 1 chicken supplements since I don't think the other ladies need more calcium and don't want to hurt them with too much. Thanks!
1714611192110.png

Take a human Calcium citrate tablet with vit D, maybe 600mg of Ca, and pop it in the affected hen's mouth until she swallows once a day for a week or two, up to a month, until the issue resolves. This can help reset her system, and she may be fine for a few months or longer. You can re-treat if she does this again - it's not going to go away permanently because it's genetic. Generally, thin shells are due to the hens' body not being able to process calcium well from the calcium carbonate in their feed and oyster shell. Can be due to or become more prevalent with age. Commercially, hens with this issue are culled. Other threads have answered this question, you might verify dosage on those threads. Pretty sure my memory is correct, but throwing that out there. It's nothing you did wrong. Good luck!

Thank you, this is helpful! I will look into getting some calcium citrate. I am totally OK with less eggs I just want to make sure she's OK and not in any pain or anything. Also its kind of a mess sometimes but again just want to make sure she's OK.

Back
Top Bottom