They're in!

Buckhowdy

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Finally got the skin on the coop. The 18 chicks are out of the garage and in the coop!
wee.gif

Just need to trim it, paint it, screen the eves, put a roof on it, etc...

Nice! What a relief, huh?

I'd get that OSB 'ramp' out of there until it's smoothed down and has cleats installed, don't want any feet with splinters.

When I was putting the OSB on the roof the first piece went on upside down. I thought I was going to slide off the roof. I then read the warning "this side down". I pulled the nails and flipped it. The side that they are standing on has a texture to it that gives it some friction and no splinters, at least so far.

I was just going to side it with paint, but now you have got me thinking. Stucco is a lot of work. Aluminum might look good. Probably stick with paint.

Definitely need a rooster weather vane on top!

Last edited:
EXCELLENT looking! If you paint the exterior of the OSB, I would do atleast 3 coats. The floor in our coop is OSB, and I did 4 coats on both sides since the bottom is facing the ground (not on the ground). OSB will swell like crazy if moisture gets to unpainted areas. You might consider "trimming" all of the areas you have exposed corners on so that it is protected from the elements. Even though that side is textured on the ramp, splinters still are gonna happen. You really should change it out for a 2x6 or a couple of pieces of 2x4 attached together and then cleated as suggested. But heck of a good job. It is gonna be a beauty! :)

Thanks for the compliments. I'll put a roof on it, trim and paint it asap. I need to put some flashing in the critical areas. I'll get some solid wood ramps and redo the roosts. Kind of a relief to finally get them in their new house.

Back
Top Bottom