The Wyandotte Thread

His "type" is off for a Wyandotte. My guess is he is from hatchery stock that does not breed to the Standard. Hatcheries use single comb birds to improve fertility more often than most breeders. For a backyard bird, he is fine. But he would be disqualified at a show. Here is what a Golden Laced Wyandotte, bred to the Standard, should look like. Though this is an artist idea, it is a good photo description.

images

I was thinking hatchery too. I bet lots of people end up with single combs from hatcheries.

They were only a couple of days old and I fell for his " I've been breeding for 25 years " line. He used to be a poultry judge. That's ok , once bitten twice shy, I'll never buy another bird from him.

How much did he charge you for them? I agree. Ask him to switch one out or give you a couple o f pullets if you want to keep both. That's bull.

Quote:

Quote:
I have been raising poultry since I can't remember. I am now 50. I have raised and showed exhibition since 1982. I am a ETL lifetime member of the American Poultry Association. I still can not tell males from females until they mature enough to redden the comb. Most can not. Being a poultry judge means they know the Standard of Perfection, not gender of chicks. Feather sexing chicks is a joke and a myth except on a few strains. Even commercial hatcheries with millions of chicks a year only guarantee a 95% on sexed chicks. Your seller should make this right. I do not know the seller's name (and don't want to know) but it is wrong to sell sexed chicks unless you have the training to do so. It is doubtful a poultry judge has that training. I know a lot of judges and none will sex chicks.

I have been raising poultry since I can't remember. I am now 50. I have raised and showed exhibition since 1982. I am a ETL lifetime member of the American Poultry Association. I still can not tell males from females until they mature enough to redden the comb. Most can not. Being a poultry judge means they know the Standard of Perfection, not gender of chicks. Feather sexing chicks is a joke and a myth except on a few strains. Even commercial hatcheries with millions of chicks a year only guarantee a 95% on sexed chicks. Your seller should make this right. I do not know the seller's name (and don't want to know) but it is wrong to sell sexed chicks unless you have the training to do so. It is doubtful a poultry judge has that training. I know a lot of judges and none will sex chicks.

AMEN!!! I hate when people say that sexing is easy or just feather sex. Feather sexing is a trait that must be bred it doesn't just show up! Just like sex linked traits.

I just bought a quad of white wyandotte bantams last Sunday. They are 10 months old, but the hens have not laid since i have had them. What could be the problem??

​I have been raising poultry since I can't remember. I am now 50. I have raised and showed exhibition since 1982. I am a ETL lifetime member of the American Poultry Association. I still can not tell males from females until they mature enough to redden the comb. Most can not. Being a poultry judge means they know the Standard of Perfection, not gender of chicks. Feather sexing chicks is a joke and a myth except on a few strains. Even commercial hatcheries with millions of chicks a year only guarantee a 95% on sexed chicks. Your seller should make this right. I do not know the seller's name (and don't want to know) but it is wrong to sell sexed chicks unless you have the training to do so. It is doubtful a poultry judge has that training. I know a lot of judges and none will sex chicks.

Lol , from one 50 year old to another I should have known better. I have had chickens all my life and at around 5 weeks of age I knew he'd sucked me in with his cock & bull story. I know a lot more about said person now and apparently he was kicked out of the judging fraternity. As to false sexing, you only have to go over to the silkie sexing thread to get an idea of how many sellers are falsely selling ' sexed chicks '. I will find some hens for Donny and Diablo, but they won't be from him. I've only had dealings with 2 x registered breeders and both encounters have left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Lol , from one 50 year old to another I should have known better. I have had chickens all my life and at around 5 weeks of age I knew he'd sucked me in with his cock & bull story. I know a lot more about said person now and apparently he was kicked out of the judging fraternity. As to false sexing, you only have to go over to the silkie sexing thread to get an idea of how many sellers are falsely selling ' sexed chicks '. I will find some hens for Donny and Diablo, but they won't be from him. I've only had dealings with 2 x registered breeders and both encounters have left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

That's frustrating. I think buying started pullets would be a great way to go...but still...reach out to the charlatan and try to get him to make it right. He probably won't...but if there's a small chance, take it!

Back
Top Bottom