The Wally-Gee Bee Journey šŸ

Most of the brood usually is centered with the cluster keeping it warm. I take a frame of foundation from the outside and place it left and right of the center most of the cluster. They will not leave brood and start to draw out comb quickly for centered laying space for the queen keeping the brood centered and easier to tend and keep warm. Not a good practice if night temps drop. I like a consistent 50 Degrees and above for this. It has also worked for me during derth with syrup feeding but not as fast. The Queen maybe the Queen but comb is KING!! :old
I did some checkerboarding as well to get those pesky outside deep frames drawn out. I have zero drawn comb on my medium frames, so itā€™s all a fresh start up top. One box has a queen excluder and the other does not. Not intentional, but one was all I had. Iā€™m very curious about the outcome of this setup. Brood in the super? Comb drawn out quicker? We shall see.

I did some checkerboarding as well to get those pesky outside deep frames drawn out. I have zero drawn comb on my medium frames, so itā€™s all a fresh start up top. One box has a queen excluder and the other does not. Not intentional, but one was all I had. Iā€™m very curious about the outcome of this setup. Brood in the super? Comb drawn out quicker? We shall see.
I have plenty of medium comb, but as you said those out side deeps are always the last slowest draw, so we push 'em with checker boarding. They'll need those deeps for their winter stores.

These guys in south Louisiana are already pulling honey supers because of the massive privet flow. Theyā€™re extracting honey and putting supers back on for the talo flow, which is supposed to be even better than the privet flow. Not having that late freeze like last year has made a huge difference! If I wasnā€™t dealing with brand new frames and foundation I might be having the same ā€œproblemsā€ as Mr Ed and World Famous Mike Barry. I wonā€™t be greedy though. One harvest will do nicely šŸ˜

We have lots of trees blooming right now. Redbud is done, hawthorn is just about done, cherry is coming on strong.

Do bees like catalpa? We have a big one, and several little ones are coming up around it.

We have lots of trees blooming right now. Redbud is done, hawthorn is just about done, cherry is coming on strong.

Do bees like catalpa? We have a big one, and several little ones are coming up around it.
From what I read, the bees love catalpa. Thereā€™s several in the pasture beside my sisterā€™s house where the bees keep coming back year after year. So, there may be something to it.

I started building a long Langstroth hive today. Iā€™m using some scrap wood so itā€™s not as it would be if I were going to Loweā€™s to buy new lumber. Iā€™m edge gluing 2x6s for the sides instead of using a 2x12. It should be a fun project. I love woodworking and have gotten out of it over the years. Building for my bees gets me enjoying both hobbies. Who knows when I will put some bees in there? Iā€™m not even sure when I should move them from one hive to the other.

Iā€™m not even sure when I should move them from one hive to the other.
I never had a long Lang but did have a top bar for a while. Long Langstroth hives to me are much better than top bars. The earlier in the year you transfer the frames to the new hive the better. Put the new hive in the location of the old one and move the frames. Shake any loose bees into it. Not much different than just swapping out old boxes. I would use a follower board so as not to give them too much room at once. I dont know if thats really necessary you may have to ask someone who uses long Langs.

I never had a long Lang but did have a top bar for a while. Long Langstroth hives to me are much better than top bars. The earlier in the year you transfer the frames to the new hive the better. Put the new hive in the location of the old one and move the frames. Shake any loose bees into it. Not much different than just swapping out old boxes. I would use a follower board so as not to give them too much room at once. I dont know if thats really necessary you may have to ask someone who uses long Langs.
One thing is for certain. If you donā€™t like it, you can switch back to traditional Langstroth. Otherwise, I wouldnā€™t be taking the risk. When you say the earlier in the year the better, would you not attempt it at all this year? Iā€™m totally cool with waiting until next year if thatā€™s what will be the best chance for success. Iā€™m only 50 but it hurts my back to bend over those hives. Iā€™m hoping this is the ticket to beekeeping thatā€™s easy on the body. šŸ˜

I started building a long Langstroth hive today. Iā€™m using some scrap wood so itā€™s not as it would be if I were going to Loweā€™s to buy new lumber. Iā€™m edge gluing 2x6s for the sides instead of using a 2x12. It should be a fun project. I love woodworking and have gotten out of it over the years. Building for my bees gets me enjoying both hobbies. Who knows when I will put some bees in there? Iā€™m not even sure when I should move them from one hive to the other.
A Keeper about 12 miles from me has 2 horizontals and 3 Traditional. Trying to catch 'em at Granddaughter's ball game to talk. Me, being an old dog, look at it simply. Bees have been working vertically since time began and with our winters I would think the odds are not in my or the bees favor moving horizontally. I do read keepers in the south have pretty good results with this method. I am not willing to invest time, money and the possible loss of bees. I am interested in how this method works for others though. Keep us posted. :thumbsup

A Keeper about 12 miles from me has 2 horizontals and 3 Traditional. Trying to catch 'em at Granddaughter's ball game to talk. Me, being an old dog, look at it simply. Bees have been working vertically since time began and with our winters I would think the odds are not in my or the bees favor moving horizontally. I do read keepers in the south have pretty good results with this method. I am not willing to invest time, money and the possible loss of bees. I am interested in how this method works for others though. Keep us posted. :thumbsup
Will do! Thereā€™s lots of YT guys that have videos on using long hives. Most in the south. Kamon Reynolds did an entire series on it a few years back. They build between floor joists going horizontal and have thriving colonies. I figure this is no different, right?

Back
Top Bottom