The Waiting is the Hardest Part

AMontey

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2017
Northern California
Peacock Experiment, Part Deux...

The peahens laid their eggs about 4 weeks ago, and we've been on chick watch for last three days (counted 28 days from the time they started setting on the eggs). How long do we wait to start rousting and checking eggs? Also, both hens decided to split eggs and set, will that be a problem in terms of who raises the chicks if there are any..?

On a sad note, my bronze BS chick died of unknown circumstances. They had been in their brooder for last couple of weeks and we let them wander around the barn. I noted they were like Hoover vacuum cleaners, trying to eat every interesting thing in sight, and I wonder if it didn't suck down something it shouldn't have. Thankfully, the other three seem to be doing ok, and I haven't let them out again, although they're getting so big they may not fit in the brooder for much longer.

Thanks for the advice, it's been an interesting summer...

I don't raise Peafowl so I'm not sure. However, with working with chickens, if my broody hen gets off to eat that would be a good time to real quick candle one or two eggs when she isn't looking. : )

If both hens went broody at the same time it shouldn't be a problem that they split the eggs. However, if it was at separate times than the eggs may hatch at strange times and throw the hens off. That's how it works with my chickens at least.

Hope this link helps: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/breeding-hatching-and-raising-peafowl.67360/

Sorry about your little chick. : ( Sometimes we never know why we loose them.

I never put my pea chicks on the ground. I have raised chickens for a good many years and have lost a few turkeys in the past due to blackhead so now all peafowl are raised in brooders and then wire bottom pens until at least 6 months old. I have lost only one in the last 5 years of raising them this way. Candle the eggs the hens have. I try candling mine at around 10 days and again at 20 days to see what to keep and what might need tossed. I have not ever let a pea hen raise chicks. My chickens hatch the eggs mostly so I scoop up and put in a brooder to raise.

Back
Top Bottom