The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

I kind of ended up enjoying cleaning the brooder plate? Cleaning the incubator was definitely harder

Yeah, incubators have all that... incubatory stuff to work around. Fans and wires and heating elements, etc. At least heat plates are just a block of plastic!

I'd always carefully taken a damp paper towel around the fan and wires in my incubator tops and just kind of blown out as much of the dander that that doesn't reach as possible, but I learned the other day that the manufacturer of the incubators I use recommends taking a soft-bristled brush like a 1-inch paint brush to the incubator top to get the chick dander out of there and that's it. Next time I'm in town I'm going to look for a paint brush and see if I like how well it cleans my incubators. :fl

Yall. I've been randomly smelling the stinker egg smell in random places, at random times ever since taking out number 16 :sick

😬 That's scary!! Hope you're able to locate the source soon!

Good night Freddie, τσουρέκι, and all the Greek Eggies. Every day, closer to hatch day, is getting more and more exciting! ❤️🥚❤️
1713662321706.gif

Yeah, incubators have all that... incubatory stuff to work around. Fans and wires and heating elements, etc. At least heat plates are just a block of plastic!

I'd always carefully taken a damp paper towel around the fan and wires in my incubator tops and just kind of blown out as much of the dander that that doesn't reach as possible, but I learned the other day that the manufacturer of the incubators I use recommends taking a soft-bristled brush like a 1-inch paint brush to the incubator top to get the chick dander out of there and that's it. Next time I'm in town I'm going to look for a paint brush and see if I like how well it cleans my incubators. :fl

😬 That's scary!! Hope you're able to locate the source soon!

Yup! Incubator cleaning is SUCH a pain. But having it cleaned brings you so much joy, it makes up for it

Oh don't worry, there isn't anything that's ACTUALLY smelling. It's just my senses playing games. I think I smelled it TOO well while I was making sure it didn't have anything inside. Had this happen with my last hatch as well. Took me three days to overcome it🥴

Yup! Incubator cleaning is SUCH a pain. But having it cleaned brings you so much joy, it makes up for it

Truly :love I know a lot of people don't enjoy the brooder stage of chickens, but it's probably my favorite stage. I do love my adults, but there's something so compelling about when they're leetle bitties even if they are little dust-making poop machines. 🤭

Oh don't worry, there isn't anything that's ACTUALLY smelling. It's just my senses playing games. I think I smelled it TOO well while I was making sure it didn't have anything inside. Had this happen with my last hatch as well. Took me three days to overcome it🥴

Oh, well, yuck about the smell being stuck in your nose, but at least there isn't a grenegg in your incubator somewhere
forehead wipe whew.gif

Truly :love I know a lot of people don't enjoy the brooder stage of chickens, but it's probably my favorite stage. I do love my adults, but there's something so compelling about when they're leetle bitties even if they are little dust-making poop machines. 🤭

Oh, well, yuck about the smell being stuck in your nose, but at least there isn't a grenegg in your incubator somewhere View attachment 3807476

You're right, the brooding stage IS the most adorable

Not sure if I have a favourite stage, though. The most fascinating stage for me is the actual hatching, pipping, and zipping part, it's so cool. As for an actual stage though, not sure. Everything seems to be equally fun, in different ways for me. The brooder stage they're adorable and they get to figure out the world around them, the the juvenile stage they get to live with the rest of the group, figuring out the social hierarchies of the chicken world, while also learning what they can and can't do by observing the older birds. Then comes the phase when they pretty much transition to adult life, starting to mate, lay and crow, at which point they'll fully integrate into their group. The last stage is when they become true adults, hens and roosters, that know their place in their group, have figured out the world around them, and live each day foraging and hanging around.

If you add all the things one looking to breed looks for at each stage, then it becomes even harder to make a choice.

I think what brings me the most joy is seeing a broody/mother, or a rooster interacting and truly communicating with his hens, so I think I'll have to go with the true adult stage, but it's a very hard choice!

Grenegg, I love that🤣

Back
Top Bottom