This summer I came out of the duck house to catch a wild mallard on one of my girls
I thought it was one of my boys who kinda looks mallard until it flew off a few houses over into their pond
My ducks don’t fly
I went over to that neighbour and he said a pair of mallards had been coming and going from his fish pond
He must have heard my females and came over
I did hatch babies around that time but I let the schools hatch and the babies are sold at a few days old
So I really have no idea if we did end up with a mallard mix

No reason, just beautiful.

20231215_164131.jpg

I wonder if that is a natural variation of the Mallards plumage?
@Pyxis

Interesting! You do sometimes see some mutations pop up in wild mallards - I've seen bibbed mallards before, which is cool. I wonder if this is the restricted mallard gene.

:frow Hi quack shackers!
Due to lack of daylight hours I decided the other day to take a chance at letting the big ducks and the little ones free range together.
I had been making them take turns getting out in the afternoons, but it was getting to be which ever group didn't get out that day really started QUACKIN up a storm.
I felt like it would be ok due to them hanging next to each others pens all this time without issue.
This will probably not work during breeding season.. but for now they have been doing fine. 🥰
20231213_150057.jpg
20231213_150043.jpg

Seeing the size difference with them right next to each other quacks me up. 😅
The calls are definitely large and in charge despite their size. They go where they want when they want.. they just make those Cayugas move.
What a lovely flock! But I'm wondering what that spiky green stuff is in the foreground...

Back
Top Bottom