What did you end up doing with your drake that was a bad one?
I am torn between Drake jail for the summer or rehoming some of the boys that I have. If any (which I am sure there are) of the 4 that I just hatched out under Momma Mallard are boys I will rehome them for sure. I don't know if Drake jail is fair for them or if rehoming is better for them if I can find them a good place to go to.

I am torn between Drake jail for the summer or rehoming some of the boys that I have. If any (which I am sure there are) of the 4 that I just hatched out under Momma Mallard are boys I will rehome them for sure. I don't know if Drake jail is fair for them or if rehoming is better for them if I can find them a good place to go to.
To me if you have many drakes and of course, they can turn on each other rehoming to a nice place where they have their own girls would be ideal.

Hello, everyone. Hope you're all well.

Still undecided on what to do with my new drake. I will say that after a few good soaks/preens he looks quite a bit better in terms of feather quality and everything. He was even feeling good enough to give me a bit of a chase when I was putting him up last night. He was getting around a lot quicker than I thought he'd be able to tbh. Runs out of breath quick though.

Previously I mentioned he does a bit of tail pumping and has a bare spot around his vent. Well, when I picked him up to let him out yesterday, he was doing the little tail wag/pump and I noticed maybe an inch or so of his penis was hanging out. So now I'm thinking he has/had probably suffered a minor prolapse in the past. The Epsom soaks I've been giving him for the bumble have definitely helped with swelling around the vent, but is there anything else I could/should do? Will keeping him separated be enough to stop that from getting worse?

Drake jails don't work! - Personal experience. Hormones are escape artists…

Hello, everyone. Hope you're all well.

Still undecided on what to do with my new drake. I will say that after a few good soaks/preens he looks quite a bit better in terms of feather quality and everything. He was even feeling good enough to give me a bit of a chase when I was putting him up last night. He was getting around a lot quicker than I thought he'd be able to tbh. Runs out of breath quick though.

Previously I mentioned he does a bit of tail pumping and has a bare spot around his vent. Well, when I picked him up to let him out yesterday, he was doing the little tail wag/pump and I noticed maybe an inch or so of his penis was hanging out. So now I'm thinking he has/had probably suffered a minor prolapse in the past. The Epsom soaks I've been giving him for the bumble have definitely helped with swelling around the vent, but is there anything else I could/should do? Will keeping him separated be enough to stop that from getting worse?
Well, it will definitely stop him from popping out his corkscrew on purpose.
:oops:

Back
Top Bottom