Why are great danes so majestic? I've always admired the breed. Plus it doesn't seem like they're super high energy or shed much... which is something I can only dream about over here in golden-fur-land.

I've been in talks with a Great Pyrenees breeder in Indiana that I'm really having great conversations with. Her family is actually moving to a farm in Florida in April, and they had an "oops" litter earlier this year. Apparently their female had a silent heat and her husband didn't catch it in time. So they have six 6 week old floofs available. I told her what I was looking for in a livestock guardian and about my concerns (close neighbors) and we've been chatting daily for the last week and a half. She has a lot of the same opinions as far as pup rearing - when to spay/neuter, etc. and I feel really good about the litter in general. The parents are health tested, which is great, and she works with them until 12 weeks on not only puppy related skills, but they are exposed to livestock as well. She'll actually have my pup a little longer since they're moving - but most of the other pups will be in their new homes in Indiana before the move.

I finally put down a deposit on a puppy. (It may or may not be the one below, I just thought this was a cute picture of one of the males.) She will ultimately pick the right pup for me based on my needs and the pup's personality. We went over Cosmo's personality and even though the pup will be a livestock guardian, we wanted to make sure we have a pup with a personality that won't clash with our golden boy. Cosmo is not a dominant dog, and fairly neurotic for a golden. She has two males that she's looking at more closely for us. One, that they call "Oden" is a quiet, dominant type (so far - she said their personalities are just blossoming in the last couple of weeks.) The other they call "Butthead" and I've seen videos of him - very dominate, super friendly, and definitely a butthead, lol. So far she's leaning towards Oden for us, she seems to think that he'll be a really great guardian, but we'll see!

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 8.52.19 AM.png

Best hawk deterrent are crows. I know it sounds like sacrilege but crows like eggs...
Or 12ga shotguns and a serious SSS program..

place silencers on the shotgun before discharging in town.....

Also keep handy the telephone number for the famed law firm “Dewey, Cheatum and Howe”.

I think it'd work atleast once... not sure its a permanent solution.
Looks like I'm going to have to find a better reason to shoot bottle rockets of season....

Why are great danes so majestic? I've always admired the breed. Plus it doesn't seem like they're super high energy or shed much... which is something I can only dream about over here in golden-fur-land.

I've been in talks with a Great Pyrenees breeder in Indiana that I'm really having great conversations with. Her family is actually moving to a farm in Florida in April, and they had an "oops" litter earlier this year. Apparently their female had a silent heat and her husband didn't catch it in time. So they have six 6 week old floofs available. I told her what I was looking for in a livestock guardian and about my concerns (close neighbors) and we've been chatting daily for the last week and a half. She has a lot of the same opinions as far as pup rearing - when to spay/neuter, etc. and I feel really good about the litter in general. The parents are health tested, which is great, and she works with them until 12 weeks on not only puppy related skills, but they are exposed to livestock as well. She'll actually have my pup a little longer since they're moving - but most of the other pups will be in their new homes in Indiana before the move.

I finally put down a deposit on a puppy. (It may or may not be the one below, I just thought this was a cute picture of one of the males.) She will ultimately pick the right pup for me based on my needs and the pup's personality. We went over Cosmo's personality and even though the pup will be a livestock guardian, we wanted to make sure we have a pup with a personality that won't clash with our golden boy. Cosmo is not a dominant dog, and fairly neurotic for a golden. She has two males that she's looking at more closely for us. One, that they call "Oden" is a quiet, dominant type (so far - she said their personalities are just blossoming in the last couple of weeks.) The other they call "Butthead" and I've seen videos of him - very dominate, super friendly, and definitely a butthead, lol. So far she's leaning towards Oden for us, she seems to think that he'll be a really great guardian, but we'll see!

View attachment 2034602
I know Cosmo is a handful, but I sure did enjoy hanging out with him. He's definitely seems like a people pleaser. Just as hyper as you would expect a puppy to be, but the look in his eyes was pure "love me love love me 'cus I loves YOU!"

Oden is a little cutie too. ❣❣❣

Ugh you guys are killing me with the puppy pics!! 😭😭 seriously, along with chick fever, spring fever, now I have puppy fever too!?

Great Danes are wonderful family dogs...they are playful and lazy all at the same time 😂 they really don't eat as much or cost as much to own as one would think.
I agree with the puppy Shaw picked!! Plus, I'm partial to blue merle 😍🥰

That is a precious pup. Is your property fenced?

Not the entire 10 acres, but I have several areas that are fenced, including almost an acre for the primary goat pasture. We’re hoping to have the perimeter fenced this spring/summer aka whenever we start actually working. It’s going to be in the 20-25k range to fence our property, and I just can’t afford that when we’re not really working right now. 😕

I know Cosmo is a handful, but I sure did enjoy hanging out with him. He's definitely seems like a people pleaser. Just as hyper as you would expect a puppy to be, but the look in his eyes was pure "love me love love me 'cus I loves YOU!"

Oden is a little cutie too. ❣❣❣

Cosmo LOVES all people/animals/things that move or will pet him. We’re still working on him being calm when he meets new people... but I’m really not expecting much until he’s a little older. I know it may seem like a stretch, but he’s actually come a LONG way, lol. Now his excited puppy love lasts 5-10 minutes. When he was younger it would have been a solid hour 😂

Back
Top Bottom