Pics
You better get going on that duck house! Saturday will be here before you know it! Haha, you sure do work hard! I bet your ducks love that pool! I've never seen a rectangular hard plastic one. I like it. Where did you end up finding it?
Thanks for the complement! That is actually not a plastic poll you can see. It is a bath tub, with thr old inflatable pool being used as a pond liner of sorts. The ducks had no interest in the tub as a water source. I noticed when I removed the old pool, the ducks would stand where it is. That's when I decided to cover the tub with the old pool, and about a day later is when the duck's started showing interest in the tub.

My wild guess is the white vs blue color had them confused and cautious...

Mr. Quack: "That's wet Mrs. Quack, but it's not our water. "

Saturday. Wow can't wait to see the little pumpkins when they arrive!
They got here early! Actually, the PO called me at 6:15am. I happened to be at the gas station just a block away, so by 6:30 the ducks were at home.

Sadly none of my fawn/white runners where sent due to hatch rate. I did get the 1 black runner and all the anconas though. So darn cute!
20190607_082349.jpg

There is a black & white/fawn runner hatch on the 19, and they are going to fulfill my order with as many black as they can and fill in the rest with the w/f. I was a little bit frustrated that I didn't get all my birds, but Cackle was pretty good about explaining why to me, and is still going to send out the rest of my order at their expense for shipping.

More pics to come.
:celebrate

When I got the guineas I was also introduced to a serama rooster named Rocky. Rocky was jet black and tiny. I was blown away to find out he was full grown. He was very social, and for the first time, I was interested in chickens. Thankfully for me (and my marriage status) they are expensive at hatcheries, and I've not seen them on craigslist. That was until Thursday after talking about them for an hour with the guinea farmer. I hung up the phone and minutes later a semi local ad pops up on CL. A couple hours and $15 later I had 3 chicks. The one on the bottom looks like it may be a lil'boy! His waddle has a more red tint and more pronounced.
20190606_162906.jpg

I picked my wife up with the chicks in the car, and she says "Oh the ducks came! I thought their chirp would sound a bit different." My response was "Ducks will be here tomorrow hun, I'm gonna grab a coffee." And jumped out of the car before she could respond... While inside she opened the box, and was greeted with 3 extremely social 3 week old chickens.

When I get back in the car, this is what I see.
20190606_175510.jpg

When I asked her what she though, this is what I saw.
20190606_175513.jpg

I am amazed with how social they are. They where hen hatched and raised in general. The lady I got them from said to expect about a week for them to get used to me. It didn't even take an hour. I was moving them from their box to a temp housing, and individually, they flew up and perched on me. One landed on my glasses and was so light, it didn't even knock them off my face. They sat in my lap and fell asleep. Every time I walk by them they get excited and try to come to me. We walked around the yard like this yesterday morning for a good 30 minutes...
20190607_085728.jpg

When I wasn't being overtaken by cuteness, I was building them a coop.
20190607_110937.jpg
20190607_131425.jpg
15599927171286906929569729883231.jpg

The bottom with ladder is finished, just need to finish the living area. It's going to be a busy day hustling in the heat again. Don't forget your water guys n gals!

Have a good one, if not a great one.

~Trim

Back
Top Bottom