The Pros and Cons of Long Horn Cattle? ...besides the horns

WIChookchick

Songster
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
Rural Brooklyn, WI
Afternoon All!,

I have a friend who, like most things he does... doesn't really think things through, and about 2 days ago, asked me what I knew on the pros and cons of keeping
Longhorns for breeding and raising a few for meat. He would get two calves both heifers, and raise them and then when they were old enough to breed them and raise
the offspring for meat.
We live in Wisconsin, but there are folks who keep longhorns here. He has electric and barb-less wire fencing in his pastures, wood plank fencing in one paddock and cattle/hog
panels with wood plank in the other paddock. He has typical corral panels and such to enclose his barn yard (in the back), A run in shed in one paddock and an attached run in
in the other (it is next to his barn).
Now from what little I know, his biggest issue would be two fold, 1-their horns, he would either have to have them de-horned or "train" the horns using weights and some methods I have
seen but don't really know about -AND before you ask, why have them de-horned... they would likely be turned out with his horses, and he would be the only person handling them on a
day to day business... I personally don't want to have to duck and weave to avoid the horns. and 2- Longhorns can jump, like a deer, I have had people I know have them, and if they wanted to get out.. not much could keep them in.

Soooo does anyone keep longhorns who can weigh in.. OR know some one they can ask??/

Thanks tons.
Carol

Well my dad got a 1yr old long horn yesterday. We live on a main road and only have a couple of acres. So my dad took the back section of my horse pasture and blocked it off for him. Then this morning my dad comes in swearing the cows gone. I first thought was that he was in the neighbors pasture. so as my dad was going up to the neighbors to see if the cow was up there the cow was laying in the tall grass by the main rode. So yes longhorns are very complicating. good luck.

Longhorns also have very lean meat and aren't as efficient at putting it on as say a Charolais. Also is he going to get a bull or have someone AI? All bulls can be crabby, and AI can be expensive and isn't a sure thing. If he really wants cattle I'd have him start with 2 feeder steers to raise up to slaughter and see if he still wants cattle the next year.

Just ran across this post....Thought I'd put my 2 cents in.....I have had many different cattle over the years...started with Hereford,sickly,bloat,dwarf,pink eye etc etc....went to Brahma , less problems,gentle , you could not crowd them they'd go beserk...tried Simmental , good weight , some birthing problems, but still had pink eye ,black leg etc....went to Beefmasters (6 way cross) did better but they were hard to keep in pasture , would rip thru 6 and 7 strand barb wire fence , also skittish , drive tractor into feed and they'd run......so , my Grandpa had Longhorn in the old days , thought I'd try them......
BEST thing I've ever done.....they are smart - if they got out , just walk them slowly back towards hole in the fence , they go back in and you fix the hole ( no other breed would go back thru the hole they came out of) they are gentle , I can nose pet 7 out of 10 have never been charged at by the cow when checking the new calf ( son in law does Brangus , takes 3 or 4 guys to ear tag a calf) I can tag mine no problem , have not had to pull a calf (S I L has to pull 30 to 40 calves a year) birth weights are smaller and they grow a little slower ( so a 4 yr Longhorn is comparable to a 3 year Brangus)...but I'm in it for the meat etc.....low fat , low cholestral meat with mine ....I've been using different bulls and have added quite a bit more beefy to mine , they look good not boney , unless they're still nursing ,they look boney....."but the horns are dangerous".....******** , have never been attacked or hurt by the horns....I have one old one , when I pet or pull on her ears , she'll toss her head and knock my hand away , but thats all.....but she'll come up to let me rub fly oil on her....
Everybody has an opinion , but until you've actually tried them don't shoot your mouth off ......these are the easiest cows I ever had , they might not bring quite as much money as others , but I don't have to grain mine (added cost) , I haven't had to use a vet in 9 years ( cost savings) and a plus is they eat weeds , like stinging nettle , thistle , etc....and in the past couple years have been selling local to Amish , Mennonite and small farm hobby types who pay the going rate...
PS a friend had an old longhorn cow (running around pasture with calf step in a mole hole and break her leg) he hauled her to the butcher , got 455 lbs of beef , sold her skull for $350.00 and got $450.00 for her hide......gee How can you Lose?????

Back
Top Bottom