The Olive-Egger thread!

My OEs are Amerucana x Little Peddler Marans, they give us these beauties:

The eggs are some of the nicest in our daily basket, my only drawback on the breed is that they are so darn hard to sex - right up until they day they crow it can be challenging to tell the ladies and gents apart!

The eggs are some of the nicest in our daily basket, my only drawback on the breed is that they are so darn hard to sex - right up until they day they crow it can be challenging to tell the ladies and gents apart!

So Pretty!!!!

I've used the sharpie with no problem. I've also used the sharpie and pencil while they were under a chicken. That didn't work at all it rubs off from the hen. Crayon may not rub off. I may try crayon next time I let chickens hatch.
I've used crayon before, and it faded during incubation. I use a fine line sharpie marking very little on the air cell end with no problems.

I've also had a breeder send hatching eggs marked with a large amount of sharpie on the air cell end, which I really was unhappy about, but had a great hatch.

nice eggs. they would probably be nice closed back to Penedesenca

my 17eggs. Some are due on the 16th and some the 20th.

I had 19eggs, after I pulled the clears... but 2 quit. looked like they quit on day ten.

Last edited:
I want to hatch some olive eggers this spring and I'm a little overwhelmed with the whole thing. I think I have the stock birds I will need to do this...and do it pretty good...but I need some advice. For example, what birds to put together. I've always read about the FBCM with the EE or Ameraucana. I have those!
My dark egg layers are: Blue/Black/Splash Marans hens and Blue Marans roosters. I also have a Wheaten rooster and wheaten hens. Welsummer hens. I also have a Barnevelder hen, and a couple of others in my mixed flock that are laying a dark egg but I haven't figured out who it is.
Then for my blue egg layers to breed with: I have a Lavender Ameraucana hen and rooster pair, many Ameraucana and EE hens.

So, one question is who should I put together? And HOW? Right now, I have my Marans b/b Marans together, my wheatens together, my Welsummers and EE's are in this chicken yard with a different little bantam cochin rooster. How long do they need to be away from him and with this new rooster before I try to hatch "olive eggers"? There has got to be an easy way to do this, but I can't see it. I would want to make real sure that any of the rooster's fertilization where the hens currently are won't be sneaking through.
Should I have a breeding pen that's new to everybody and put the dark egg rooster in with the blue egg hens in there? And for how long? And do the same thing for the Blue egg rooster/brown egg hens? I don't want this to be a permanent living arrangement as much as a fertilization and putting them back where they are used to living after I collect my eggs for hatching for olive eggers. I hope I have made a little bit of sense with what I am asking. Thanks for taking the time to read. I appreciate any advice!

put the dark egg rooster in with the blue egg hens in there? And for how long? And do the same thing for the Blue egg rooster/brown egg hens? .....
Yep.
To be absolutely sure, wait 4 weeks before gathering eggs to hatch.

Dang, with that stock I wouldn't even bother with the EE's, chances of blue egg gene carrying are only 50/50.

What do your Wellie eggs look like? They can make nice olives too, if dark and especially if speckled.

Back
Top Bottom