The Old Folks Home

I told him I want to retain my close vision. They have 2 other options, one a thousand bucks and the other 3 thousand. Not really clear on what they all do.
Probably bifocal implants. Monovision is the other. Wow, 3,000 dollars. Probably for the bifocal.

Even with my progressive lenses in my glasses I find myself reaching for my +3 reading glasses when I'm doing bead work or sketching/painting. The old eyes just don't do close up as well as they used to so I can understand wanting to preserve your near vision.

I have been wearing glasses since third grade. Sort of used to it.
I had glasses before kindergarten; Mom noticed I had "lazy eye", then the optometrist discovered I was very farsighted with astigmatism. So glad that was diagnosed before school age, or I'd never have been able to function in a classroom with such lousy vision! I wore a clear red stick-on patch over one lens and did exercises for the lazy eye and luckily over time, it worked - though it got me some very rude, disparaging comments by grade school classmates. (Late 1950s)

I remember always choosing the light blue plastic frames with silver glitter imbedded in them. Stylin' !!! All my early grade school class photos, I'm wearing those blue glitter glasses.

I struggled with contacts from high school into my 30s but they were miserable; finally gave them up. Nowadays, I need 3 different sets of bifocals to get through the day (close work, computer, distance/driving, plus sunglasses). The ol' eyeballs can't adjust for distances like they used to!

I had glasses before kindergarten; Mom noticed I had "lazy eye", then the optometrist discovered I was very farsighted with astigmatism. So glad that was diagnosed before school age, or I'd never have been able to function in a classroom with such lousy vision! I wore a clear red stick-on patch over one lens and did exercises for the lazy eye and luckily over time, it worked - though it got me some very rude, disparaging comments by grade school classmates. (Late 1950s)

I remember always choosing the light blue plastic frames with silver glitter imbedded in them. Stylin' !!! All my early grade school class photos, I'm wearing those blue glitter glasses.

I struggled with contacts from high school into my 30s but they were miserable; finally gave them up. Nowadays, I need 3 different sets of bifocals to get through the day (close work, computer, distance/driving, plus sunglasses). The ol' eyeballs can't adjust for distances like they used to!
I had glass contacts! Always felt them in my eyes. Just couldn't get used to them.

I had glass contacts!
My mom told me about a friend of hers who got contacts when they first came out (1940-50s...?) They were made of glass, and covered the whole surface, not just the cornea.

This woman would go to a restaurant, and be the last one to order. The waiter would be standing there, waiting for her to decide. She'd say something like, "Well... I don't know... the steak sounds good... but so does the shrimp..." Then she'd pick up her fork and gently tap her eyeball.

:eek:

My mom knew what was coming, and enjoyed the joke.

I never wore the glass contacts, but within a couple months of them coming out with Bausch & Lomb Softlens contacts, I got them. I wore that brand for many years. The first ones were huge, covering almost all the eyeball. Later on, they got smaller. The first ones had salt tablets, a squeeze bottle with a fill line, and you had to put the tablet in, add distilled water, and dissolve the salt tablet to make saline solution. There was also a heating unit they had to be put in nightly, to disinfect them. Later, the heating unit became obsolete, and saline solution was readily available.

Back
Top Bottom