The Old Folks Home

Even though raised on pine shavings in the brooder they are terrified when they start pouring out of the bag now. You never know what they will squawk at the first time the see it.
Mine fear anything that is large and maybe flappy. Like feed or shavings bags when empty. Soon as the bag is put in the trash can, the chickens are fine.

I hate tech support that can't speak my southern dialect of English.
And you can't understand their non native dialect of English.

Maybe some of you will have suggestions for a project.

When I bought this place, the coop and run were already here. There were intact chicken skeletons in the coop. Apparently someone had died and they were forgotten.

I don't want to risk that happening again, so I'm trying to think of ways that they can get out if they're left alone too long. I think I can rig their roost to open the pop door when they get down in the morning, or maybe I can figure out a way to make a solar door work (the pop door is in full shade) but I can't think of anything for the run door.

They are used to free ranging during the day.
I have a PulletShut auto door on the coop (converted horse stall). It is a side hinged metal door.

You can buy them with a 12V battery and 110V charger or with a solar panel. Since we had no power in the barn when I installed it and I wasn't sure if there would be enough afternoon solar to keep the battery up I "borrowed" 2 used 6V lantern batteries from a fluorescent lantern that needs 4. They lasted 9 months, so did the other 2. That was back in 2013. Since then I have replaced them with new Alkaline batteries exactly twice. That door uses SO little power pretty much any amount of solar should keep up their battery if one chose to go that way.

I also have the light sensor that opens the door when the sun comes up and closes it when it goes down. Originally I had it on the outside wall (west wall 5' alley, then the coop) but it was PITCH BLACK when the door closed so I moved the sensor inside, near but not in front of, the window.

My next door neighbor just got one. At times it puts out a LOT of smoke, other times, next to nothing.
Then it isn't working properly (and in many places is illegal) or they don't know how to use it. When it is burning properly you should see nothing but steam.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
But don't burn trash in it, especially plastic!

Good morning. Supposed to be a decent day here followed by 24 hours of rain starting tomorrow morning.
Same here

Then it isn't working properly (and in many places is illegal) or they don't know how to use it. When it is burning properly you should see nothing but steam.
I'm wondering if I see smoke when they get it going in the morning...? This is a Heat Master brand; don't know if that matters. Will they work when the power goes out? We had a brief power outage today. About 3 hours, which is nothing out here. 3 days can happen, and we've had a 4.5 day outage this last spring.

Another person on our road has one, and when we walk by, we often can smell it. It's not a good smell.

That’s good!! I had tooooooooo many sweets lol
After Covid messed up my taste buds sweets were the only type of food I could eat besides some vegetables and cured smoked meats. Absolutely no fresh meats of any kind. I can eat a little meat now but not the way I used to. I love fruit cobblers. I love fruit period. Especially fresh pears and peaches. All citrus. And a banana most days.

After Covid messed up my taste buds sweets were the only type of food I could eat besides some vegetables and cured smoked meats. Absolutely no fresh meats of any kind. I can eat a little meat now but not the way I used to. I love fruit cobblers. I love fruit period. Especially fresh pears and peaches. All citrus. And a banana most days.
Oh wow!! I love fruit too though. Peaches are amazing

Back
Top Bottom