The Old Folks Home

Cap, they didn't give you anything to bring it down right away? That used to happen to my X every once in a blue moon, and they'd give him nitroglycerine, or glycerine (can't remember which) until they got it back down close to normal, and stable.

I get those numbers, and worse all the time. They can't take my blood pressure on my arms, because they removed my lymph nodes when they did the mastectomy, and it can cause lymphedema. Most nurses have no idea how to take a blood pressure reading on the leg, and they don't really teach it in most of the nursing schools. The normal for a blood pressure reading properly taken on the leg, is about 10 - 15 points higher on both top, and bottom numbers. There is an artery that ends just above the calf. The further away they put the cuff from the end of the artery, the higher the reading.

Usually the look on the nurse's face when I tell them they have to take a leg reading, tells me all I need to know about their experience. Typically, that's followed by them putting the cuff down around my ankle, instead of up on the artery. I have to assure them that my BP is fine, even though their reading is 260/220, and they don't have to run get the doctor. I then tell them to look at my chart. When they look, they discover it's normal like I said.

Once to twice a year, I will let them do a reading on my arm, to reassure everyone that my BP is perfect regardless of the leg readings. To me, it seems like a total waste of time for them to even bother taking my BP at all, when they don't know how to do it correctly, and get the wrong numbers.

Yes, there are a few nurses at the cancer center that actually do know how to do it correctly on the leg, and my numbers come out just fine. As prevalent as breast cancer is nowadays, you would think they would teach this in nursing school.

You really need to get those numbers down! That is a stroke waiting to happen. When you check your pressure do you sit still for several minutes before you take it? Doctors recommend resting for at least 5 minutes before testing.
I've heard you shouldn't take it until 15 minutes after eating either. But neither that or not sitting for 5 minutes before would account for @CapricornFarm's sudden high numbers.

Hoping for a quick resolution Cap!!

I was not given any medications at all in two trips to the Er! The cardiologist upped my medication to double what I was prescribed ( which is what I was taking once I discovered it was so high. ) But even that has not taken it down significantly. Idk what I need to do to get it under control, or why it shot up so drastically . No one seems concerned, which pisses me off!

I was not given any medications at all in two trips to the Er! The cardiologist upped my medication to double what I was prescribed ( which is what I was taking once I discovered it was so high. ) But even that has not taken it down significantly. Idk what I need to do to get it under control, or why it shot up so drastically . No one seems concerned, which pisses me off!
They would be concerned here with BP that high!

I'm going to ask a few questions. You don't need to respond, this is just for help in troubleshooting.

1, any recent changes in diet or exercise? This includes changes in caffeine or alcohol consumption.

2, any new or discontinued supplements? Includes CBD oil and other herbals.

3, any new or discontinued medications? 2 and 3 are basically the same. Could be an interaction issue, or you were taking something else that was helping and suddenly stopped.

4, any change in salt consumption? Too little is just as bad as too much (this was my BIL--his doctor told him to cut out salt and his BP went through the roof). Or a recent switch to non-iodized salt?

FWIW, my Dad's blood pressure problems went away when we got him off the BP meds. My own thought is a severe calcium deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom