The Old Folks Home

Which side is best? I've done some Google research and I'm seeing both so does it really matter which side you use?
Either works though when it is underneath the birds can touch their backs to it. But the fencing you are using has plenty big holes for the pad to be accessible. Certainly it is easier to attach the pad on top, don't need to support it like you do when it is suspended underneath.

Just remember that whatever you use to enclose the pad and frame is sealed so the chicks can't slip in between the "enclosure" and the pad or the pad and the frame.

Freezing rain hit while still snow on the road though so it didn't affect driving much, better than adding inches to our accumulation.
PERFECT! Rain freezing into snow is no problem at all. Well as long as it doesn't rain so much that you get a sheet of ice but that wouldn't happen on the road.

Thanks Bruce. I was going to buy a roll of seal a meal bagging but my machine isn't wide enough for my heating pad. At least I don't think it is. My heating pad is 12X24. I'm planning to wrap and sew the pad and frame in a case made from a flour sack towel. Then put a sealed towel on top of all of it.

As for Freezing Rain. North central/northern Missouri is well known for it's ice storms. Which would I rather have ice or snow? I think I would rather deal with snow. A road tender can deal with snow a lot easier than ice, that is when the tender goes by, that is.

Either works though when it is underneath the birds can touch their backs to it. But the fencing you are using has plenty big holes for the pad to be accessible. Certainly it is easier to attach the pad on top, don't need to support it like you do when it is suspended underneath.

Just remember that whatever you use to enclose the pad and frame is sealed so the chicks can't slip in between the "enclosure" and the pad or the pad and the frame.
Yeah, what he said. ;) I only did the pad underneath once for my Silkie chicks. Otherwise I’m kind of old school - the original way worked fine for me so I stuck with it. A lot of people prefer the pad underneath approach because a few folks reported chicks getting stuck between the frame and the pad and overheating. I never had that happen.

You didn’t say whether the Sunbeam pad you bought can bypass the auto-shut off feature. Can it?

Back
Top Bottom