The Old Folks Home

transferred the bird I had hatch at the end of august it's about 5 to 6 weeks old to the quarantine pen getting it use to the main pen and other birds, night time transfer so hope the stress is less on it
Little Miss Corn Puff will be introduced to a few of her younger siblings when it's time for Fancy Pants to go back to her owner. FP was on loan as well since I only had one egg hatch out of a batch. The last hatch is 3 weeks younger than CP but I think she'll enjoy the company when she's spent some time alone. The youngest are a funny bunch. Reminds me of MINIONS~ all they need are goggles and coveralls. 4 of the 6 are showing the same tendency as CP. Coming right up for chin rubs.

Little Miss Corn Puff will be introduced to a few of her younger siblings when it's time for Fancy Pants to go back to her owner. FP was on loan as well since I only had one egg hatch out of a batch. The last hatch is 3 weeks younger than CP but I think she'll enjoy the company when she's spent some time alone. The youngest are a funny bunch. Reminds me of MINIONS~ all they need are goggles and coveralls. 4 of the 6 are showing the same tendency as CP. Coming right up for chin rubs.
buy or make them some :D

One adorable little eggsie. They are all getting red combs but determining who dunnit is impossible unless I sit out there all day and watch. I did spot Turtle Dove in the little house checking things out a few days ago. She's really come into her own. Doesn't let the others pick on her any more either. Go girlie Go!
:celebrate First eggs from new layers never gets old.

And, good for you, Turtle Dove!

Like a drawing salve?
Similar principal, but it's not moist like drawing salve, so it works better. As the tobacco dries, it draws out all the toxins. Oatmeal can be used to do the same thing, but it's so much messier. I have not tried it, but I've been told the Biore strips, like the ones for extracting blackheads from the nose area, will work too.

Morning all.

They say we have a dense fog advisory.....hmmm. Just looked out the window and no fog. Okay. I'm sure there is fog somewhere but not here at least not now.

@Sally PB, nope, nada. No organics no chemicals. This year I noticed the apples were ripening slower than usual. We usually have them picked in September. But this last week I also noticed that the apples with bad spots from insects were dropping from the tree. The few still on the tree with insect damage were being noticed by the yellow jackets but the worm free, insect damage free apples with only weather marks on them like gall or small black spots on the skin along with perfect apples with no blemishes were ready to be picked.

Since most of our apples go to the freezer if not perfect or get turned into apple chips for snacking, perfect isn't a priority for us. Plus we wind up with more 'perfect' apples to save for eating then we can even use so we share all the apples with our two neighbors.

Plus we know are apples are chemical free and since our trees are heavy producers we can afford to lose a percentage to insects and still have a bumper crop without spraying.

@getaclue. OMG! if that happened to me my finger would be swelled triple in about 20 minutes, even with Benedryl and Singulair on board along with ice pack to my finger. I'll keep the tobacco ideal in mind should we get stung but since our house is a tobacco free zone I'll stick to the oatmeal poltice.

@microchick, may I pick your brain a bit on apples?

The wild apple trees we have may have been part of an orchard at one time, or just a family farm, since there was a farm here. I don't know what kind they may have been.

They are very small to small, most being baseball sized or less. Lots of worm and coddling moth (I think) damage. I cut them into bits for my husband to add to pancakes. The pieces are really too small to dry; they'd dry down to nothing. Apple sauce is a possibility, but still way more work than buying a bushel at the end of the season at the farm market.

So... what do you do to limit the insect damage? Anything at all? Are there organic treatments of any kind that I could use to get better quality?

We have planted 3 apple trees closer to home, and I would like to hope that we get better quality from them.

Back
Top Bottom