The Old Folks Home

Sad morning here. Probably won't be around for a day or two.

We are saying goodbye today to our Australian Cattle Dog who has degenerative myelopathy this morning. He has lost bowel control 2 months ago and last night had his first episode of bladder incontinence. His mental status is changing and it's getting harder and harder for him to support his weight on his front legs.

It's time. He has fought the good fight but before this horrible disease takes away the last of who and what he is we are going to let his spirit run free again to chase cows.
:hugs

That is a tough one!

Sad morning here. Probably won't be around for a day or two.

We are saying goodbye today to our Australian Cattle Dog who has degenerative myelopathy this morning. He has lost bowel control 2 months ago and last night had his first episode of bladder incontinence. His mental status is changing and it's getting harder and harder for him to support his weight on his front legs.

It's time. He has fought the good fight but before this horrible disease takes away the last of who and what he is we are going to let his spirit run free again to chase cows.

I am so sorry but know he will be waiting playing chasing the cows :frow:hugs

Micro, I am so sorry.

We had a Ripley scare today. BF left the house about 2 hours before I got home. He gave her a peanut butter filled bone and said adios.

Sometime between then and when I got home she raided the bathroom trash.

When I first got home there was this strange small pink piece of plastic I saw with some wires hanging out of it on the floor. Didn't know what it was, assumed she had chewed up something electronic and wasn't too concerned.

About 10 minutes later while I was getting her ready for her walk, I found 2 pieces of white plastic, and knew immediately that she had found the Shick Quattro razor head that I had swapped out on Sunday with a fresh one to shave my legs.

The actual blades were missing.

I did a quick search of the house and found 2 of the blades.

I did a much more thorough search of the house and didn't find the other 2 blades. Dog was acting fine, but it was early. I called the emergency vet who was amazing and apparently dogs eat human razor blades all the time so they have a protocol.

The instructions were to feed a couple slices of bread to help bind the blades, then watch for symptoms. Being an enormous dog with enormous bowels has its advantages.

Irony: I didn't have any bread, but I had a loaf on the counter rising.

Also Irony: I probably hadn't shaved my legs in over a month. Not sure why it was so pressing to do it on Sunday, and now I regret that decision.

I end up calling CrazyNeighborLady in a panic, because she's got 5 kids and I know she's got bread. Fed Rip 3 slices with peanut butter on it (of course she also choked on it) then resumed the hunt for the missing blades.

I had found the 2 blades and all the plastic pieces in the kitchen within a few feet of each other. That's where the dog likes to take her stuff and chew it.

Just in case I also performed a Roomba-enema and examined everything she had sucked up (which appeared to be an entire cat and a kilo of dirt) for the blades (which are luckily magnetic). Nothing.

On a whim I searched the rest of the main living space the dog had access to even though there was no reason for the other 2 blades to be anywhere that far away from the rest of the evidence... and found the other 2 blades under the bed.

Whew.

That darn dog.
IMG_20181211_181243129.jpg

I want to thank everyone for the kind words and sympathy. Feeling much better tonight. It may sound funny but I feel Dingo's spirit all around me when I go outside. He passed peacefully. The vet was amazed at his good conditioning considering the nasty disease he had and the care we gave him. He was family. That says it all.

We laid him to rest in the sun on the east slope of a small glade in the timber near our house. Our three remaining dogs were able to say goodbye to him.

They walk into our lives and leave footprints on our hearts.

SGC, so glad Ripley had a dog moment that turned out fine. Amazing what they can get into when they get bored. At least you didn't have to pour peroxide down her so she erupted the way Spot did when she tried to break into the Tom Cat rodent bait holder. Don't have kids but the animals have given us plenty of grey hairs.

Rest in peace Dingo, keep those cows in line!

Micro, I am so sorry.

We had a Ripley scare today. BF left the house about 2 hours before I got home. He gave her a peanut butter filled bone and said adios.

Sometime between then and when I got home she raided the bathroom trash.

When I first got home there was this strange small pink piece of plastic I saw with some wires hanging out of it on the floor. Didn't know what it was, assumed she had chewed up something electronic and wasn't too concerned.

About 10 minutes later while I was getting her ready for her walk, I found 2 pieces of white plastic, and knew immediately that she had found the Shick Quattro razor head that I had swapped out on Sunday with a fresh one to shave my legs.

The actual blades were missing.

I did a quick search of the house and found 2 of the blades.

I did a much more thorough search of the house and didn't find the other 2 blades. Dog was acting fine, but it was early. I called the emergency vet who was amazing and apparently dogs eat human razor blades all the time so they have a protocol.

The instructions were to feed a couple slices of bread to help bind the blades, then watch for symptoms. Being an enormous dog with enormous bowels has its advantages.

Irony: I didn't have any bread, but I had a loaf on the counter rising.

Also Irony: I probably hadn't shaved my legs in over a month. Not sure why it was so pressing to do it on Sunday, and now I regret that decision.

I end up calling CrazyNeighborLady in a panic, because she's got 5 kids and I know she's got bread. Fed Rip 3 slices with peanut butter on it (of course she also choked on it) then resumed the hunt for the missing blades.

I had found the 2 blades and all the plastic pieces in the kitchen within a few feet of each other. That's where the dog likes to take her stuff and chew it.

Just in case I also performed a Roomba-enema and examined everything she had sucked up (which appeared to be an entire cat and a kilo of dirt) for the blades (which are luckily magnetic). Nothing.

On a whim I searched the rest of the main living space the dog had access to even though there was no reason for the other 2 blades to be anywhere that far away from the rest of the evidence... and found the other 2 blades under the bed.

Whew.

That darn dog.
View attachment 1613755
Wow!

It is good to hear that you found all of the blades

I want to thank everyone for the kind words and sympathy. Feeling much better tonight. It may sound funny but I feel Dingo's spirit all around me when I go outside. He passed peacefully. The vet was amazed at his good conditioning considering the nasty disease he had and the care we gave him. He was family. That says it all.

We laid him to rest in the sun on the east slope of a small glade in the timber near our house. Our three remaining dogs were able to say goodbye to him.

They walk into our lives and leave footprints on our hearts.

SGC, so glad Ripley had a dog moment that turned out fine. Amazing what they can get into when they get bored. At least you didn't have to pour peroxide down her so she erupted the way Spot did when she tried to break into the Tom Cat rodent bait holder. Don't have kids but the animals have given us plenty of grey hairs.

Rest in peace Dingo, keep those cows in line!
:hugs:hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom