The Old Folks Home

Yeah, it was pretty much like that the last blizzard we experienced back in IL. DH and I got out in the middle of it at night to walk down to the neighbors (a single young woman with a daughter) to make sure they were okay. Only a scant 1/4th mile down the road. Snow was howling around us and up to my thighs on the road. DH went first to break a path for me. It was a real experience.

Just started snowing here about 30 minutes ago. Wind is 22 with gusts to 30.

They named this winter blizzard Bruce. Why does that seem an appropriate name to me?:rolleyes::lau

Yeah, it was pretty much like that the last blizzard we experienced back in IL. DH and I got out in the middle of it at night to walk down to the neighbors (a single young woman with a daughter) to make sure they were okay. Only a scant 1/4th mile down the road. Snow was howling around us and up to my thighs on the road. DH went first to break a path for me. It was a real experience.

Just started snowing here about 30 minutes ago. Wind is 22 with gusts to 30.

They named this winter blizzard Bruce. Why does that seem an appropriate name to me?:rolleyes::lau
:gig

Just went out to check water and lock up. I had two inches of snow in the entrance way and the alcove going into the bantam coop. I've kept them inside today and they are treating it like a party with the exception of screaming their brains out on me because I had my heavy snow parka on with a baseball cap, snow cap and hood pulled up.

Both shade tarps were flapping in the winds which are 28 sustained and gusting to 45. I freed them up knowing they will stay in the runs. My nets are taking a beating but that is to be expected. I'll deal with that later. It was an adventure to say the least but I had my handheld radio with me and checked in with dh regularly in the house.

My buddy and chicken guardian, snow dog Buck stayed with me the whole time. He had an inch of snow on his back but wouldn't budge from where he always lies outside the building. He got a lot of praise, a good drying with a warm towel and will find a little something extra in his food bowl tonight.

It will be interesting to see the world outside in the morning. They have upped our snow to 7-15 inches so it will be pretty if nothing else.

Perfect idea leave the car at the bottom morning all

Took the dog for a walk a little bit ago. My driveway should be declared a national disaster area. I have to drive to work with BF tomorrow, I'm guessing I'll be able to get him to drive. I'll have to take an Imodium before we go.

Need a laugh? I'm a moron. When I loaded the quilt onto the frame on Friday after work I guess I wasn't paying attention. To be honest, the backing has been put together for a couple months, but I was not excited about stitching this quilt because it was a lot of straight lines, which is really difficult to do well on my regular sit down machine. Well, I was super excited to do it now that I have the longarm, so that's the first quilt I wanted to do. Also, I always piece the backing so that the seam goes vertical, but apparently months ago when I pieced this one I decided to do the seam horizontal for some reason.

Cue today... I've stitched through 2/3 of the quilt and I think I'm doing great and I go to advance it to work the next row and... I see this

46524224_1911983585522860_4498435702291169280_n.jpg

That pink busy upside down fabric is the backing. Notice it ends and the quilt top continues.

Crap!

I take it off the frame and
46789478_1911983635522855_5592847202432057344_n.jpg

Yup, I'm a moron.

So I carefully measure and cut the sides off and then realize the backing fabric is directional, so I have to do even more piecing and math.

But I get it done, not awful (considering the disaster it was) and get it back on the frame and finish stitching.

If you look closely and/or take a photograph of the entire backing, you can tell it's fubar. But if you don't look too closely at it, it passes muster.

46774735_1912373052150580_1798219896786518016_n.jpg
46762618_1912373508817201_4267427673640271872_n.jpg
46778970_1912373432150542_1554163362353381376_n.jpg
46800218_1912373265483892_8430946018077442048_n.jpg

Just went out to check water and lock up. I had two inches of snow in the entrance way and the alcove going into the bantam coop. I've kept them inside today and they are treating it like a party with the exception of screaming their brains out on me because I had my heavy snow parka on with a baseball cap, snow cap and hood pulled up.

Both shade tarps were flapping in the winds which are 28 sustained and gusting to 45. I freed them up knowing they will stay in the runs. My nets are taking a beating but that is to be expected. I'll deal with that later. It was an adventure to say the least but I had my handheld radio with me and checked in with dh regularly in the house.

My buddy and chicken guardian, snow dog Buck stayed with me the whole time. He had an inch of snow on his back but wouldn't budge from where he always lies outside the building. He got a lot of praise, a good drying with a warm towel and will find a little something extra in his food bowl tonight.

It will be interesting to see the world outside in the morning. They have upped our snow to 7-15 inches so it will be pretty if nothing else.
Stay warm! How is your old boy doing?

Took the dog for a walk a little bit ago. My driveway should be declared a national disaster area. I have to drive to work with BF tomorrow, I'm guessing I'll be able to get him to drive. I'll have to take an Imodium before we go.

Need a laugh? I'm a moron. When I loaded the quilt onto the frame on Friday after work I guess I wasn't paying attention. To be honest, the backing has been put together for a couple months, but I was not excited about stitching this quilt because it was a lot of straight lines, which is really difficult to do well on my regular sit down machine. Well, I was super excited to do it now that I have the longarm, so that's the first quilt I wanted to do. Also, I always piece the backing so that the seam goes vertical, but apparently months ago when I pieced this one I decided to do the seam horizontal for some reason.

Cue today... I've stitched through 2/3 of the quilt and I think I'm doing great and I go to advance it to work the next row and... I see this

View attachment 1599736

That pink busy upside down fabric is the backing. Notice it ends and the quilt top continues.

Crap!

I take it off the frame and
View attachment 1599735

Yup, I'm a moron.

So I carefully measure and cut the sides off and then realize the backing fabric is directional, so I have to do even more piecing and math.

But I get it done, not awful (considering the disaster it was) and get it back on the frame and finish stitching.

If you look closely and/or take a photograph of the entire backing, you can tell it's fubar. But if you don't look too closely at it, it passes muster.

View attachment 1599741 View attachment 1599740 View attachment 1599739 View attachment 1599738
Sounds like something i would do. It will be fine.

He loves the snow, Cap but can no longer roll around in it which he loves. DH took him out so he could lay on his side in it and rub his head and shoulders around.

@superchemicalgirl that is what I call an oops. You'll fix it though.

Joann Fabrics just sent me a coupon for 20% off. Already have stuff in my bag to do my second quilt with! Shop on!

Yeah, we are staying warm. Haven't looked outside for awhile. It's dark, blowing and snowing.....still. Wind still 28mph with gusts to 41.

SGC, take care with that driveway. I just told dh I'd get on the radio more when I was recovering from my first hip replacement surgery. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom