The Old Folks Home

I'm soooo glad the lil bird is doing good.
And ya know, where there's a will, there's a way!
You'll figure out a way to tote it with you and manage if needs be. A boot sock filled with long grain rice and a rubber band on the end can be popped in the microwave for a min or so and will hold its heat pretty good for 45mins (give or take). Put it in a small tub or basket with the baby and you'd be surprised how well it'll travel. :)

Keep it warm, not just the food. Yes, feed it every 30 - 45 minutes, for now. As to leaving, someone has to take care of it, or it will die. The reason people are encouraged to turn them over to a rehabber, is the amount of time, and work involved, especially with the really young ones. While every 30 - 45 minutes sounds like a lot, it only takes about 6 minutes to actually feed them, then you're done for another 30 - 45 mins. It gets better, as they get older, but still requires some time.

Another thing, the focus now is about keeping it alive, but the goal is to do it so well that when grown, it will flourish in the wild. Mazuri makes a good powder formula that you mix with water, is optimized for their nutritional needs, it's fairly cheap, and can be made fresh for the feedings. When it gets older, you will need to get both bugs, and seeds for it, especially when teaching it to eat on it's own. Mealworms, and grasshoppers work well for this, and parakeet seed, along with some bugs works very well.

I didn't ask, but did you get the nest too? If not, it does need a makeshift nest. While many will use hay, or shredded paper towels. I used old men's cotton underwear that had been washed with soap, and bleach as my first choice, or torn up old thick T-shirts, again that had been washed in soap, and bleach. The reasons I liked using the men's cotton underwear as a first choice was the weave. They hold heat better, their toenails don't get caught in the tighter, thicker weave as easily, and I could change it often, then rewash it to use again.

Back
Top Bottom