The Old Folks Home

Hmmm...The Swarm 1978? That's possibly it. The entire movie's on You Tube...lol.
caf.gif

@Kusanar I can only imagine.

This is the description of the item:

14x18 Inches 5D Diamond Painting Garden Chicken Coop Cross Stitch Home Decor

The DIY diamond painting can be used to decorate the family room, make life more harmonious.
DIY painting diamond is exquisite to give to friends and loved ones to express good wishes to share.
DIY diamond draw a person of any age can be made since, including children, family members and so the family more warm.

That was enough to make me buy it all by itself. Sometimes I just get so tickled.

I cried on poor Chickisoup's shoulder this afternoon. Thank you dear lady for the use of that shoulder and finally feel ready to write about what happened to me this morning without breaking into tears. I had to put my dear 2 year old Welsummer rooster down this morning. He was perfect yesterday, no problems at all. He's been eating, actively pursuing the hens, doing everything a rooster should be doing. This morning I found him sitting on his favorite perch, comb and wattles completely blue. Breathing labored, mouth hanging open. I knew.

I picked him up in my arms, cuddled him a bit, went back to the house to borrow my husband's farm hand gun and Chester and I took a walk out to the pasture for the last time. This is the second rooster in three weeks and not the first to show these symptoms. I was going to open him expecting to find lung tumors or heart tumors or both. DH talked me out of it. He knew, too.

I don't know where this is going to end or how many birds I will have left when all is said and done. Before this started I had 53 chickens in my flock. I'm at 46 today. In the past 8 months I've lost 7. Until today all the deaths had been in birds between 7 months and 14 months. Chester was 25 months old and the first Welsummer to succumb. He is also to date the oldest. I was hoping the Wellys would be spared but it's not to be.

I feel so bad for them. They are all good birds, each and every one of them. I give them the best care I can, yet it's becoming clearer and clearer even without a necropsy that we have Marek's on our property. Even the original flock's breeder was here one day and said if her chickens saw how well mine were living they'd pack up and move here. I don't know what to do anymore except hang on for dear life and pray the deaths end soon. I can't help but wonder how many birds I'll have left when it's ran its course.

Okay guys, group hug...........
hugs.gif

There are 2 poultry labs in Missouri. I haven't worked with the Ag Dept. lab in Springfield but always hand carry or ship to the vet school in Columbia.

Missouri

Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory
University of Missouri
810 E. Campus Loop
Columbia, Missouri 65211-0001
Phone: 573-882-6811
IAV-A, CSF, ND, FMD, PRV, IAV-S*

Missouri

Missouri Department of Agriculture Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
701 North Miller Avenue
Springfield, Missouri 65802-6460
Phone: 417-895-6861
IAV-A, ND, CWD*

Usually vets will send the animal to Columbia so cut out the middle man and send it directly. It will save you money.
Call the lab and they'll send you a Fed Ex shipping label and tell you how to pack the bird.

I always get complete lab work so I know everything that may be running through the flock. Necropsy with complete lab tests is imperative if one loses that many birds.

I can commiserate about the rain as we have have webbed feet
out here this year thay have said all along this has been one of the wettest winters in years
One of the warmest winters ever here. But that's true for almost every year.

I'm guessing I was probably between the ages of 5-7. Maybe 8. So 75 - 78. It seems as vague as me thinking of Welcome Back Kotter. I remember not liking Kotter because I couldn't understand it. ..lol. It ran starting in '75. It never occurred to me that I could look it up now.
th.gif
I remember TV at a very young age..... Mom said I would Run in hollering Papoon mommy papoon....

The Pat Boon show ran from 1957 to 1960 I had to look it up....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pat_Boone_Chevy_Showroom

I was born in 1955

deb
IMDB is a wonderful site for anything TV, Movie, Actor, Director, etc. related.

http://www.imdb.com/

You can look up entire cast and crew, filming locations, awards nominated for and received, episodes, trailers, trivia, goofs, actor biographies, filmography, etc..
Thanks Wicked (and Ron). I can easily set up the adult girls for a day or two but I have no place secure enough for the chicks w/o putting them in with the girls and we all know how that would work. Besides, I would be a basket case worrying about them. THE neighbor I talked about is THE neighbor. We are off the end of a dead end road. Our only other "neighbors" are deadbeats that I would NOT want snooping around our property.

Oh and just to finish off this lovely day? The DH just brought in the chip from his trail cam he put out to check on the deer herd and got a beautiful portrait of the biggest coon I've ever seen and years ago we caught a couple of real whoppers but haven't seen any sign of a coon since. Whoopee.
Every time I set up my trail cams, it looks like a raccoon and opossum freeway. I don't bother setting them up any more unless I want to check for mink or coyotes.
I know the raccoons will be roaming the place right after dark and periodically through the night.

hugs.gif

There are 2 poultry labs in Missouri. I haven't worked with the Ag Dept. lab in Springfield but always hand carry or ship to the vet school in Columbia.

Missouri

Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory
University of Missouri
810 E. Campus Loop
Columbia, Missouri 65211-0001
Phone: 573-882-6811
IAV-A, CSF, ND, FMD, PRV, IAV-S*

Missouri

Missouri Department of Agriculture Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
701 North Miller Avenue
Springfield, Missouri 65802-6460
Phone: 417-895-6861
IAV-A, ND, CWD*

Usually vets will send the animal to Columbia so cut out the middle man and send it directly. It will save you money.
Call the lab and they'll send you a Fed Ex shipping label and tell you how to pack the bird.

I always get complete lab work so I know everything that may be running through the flock. Necropsy with complete lab tests is imperative if one loses that many birds.

One of the warmest winters ever here. But that's true for almost every year.

IMDB is a wonderful site for anything TV, Movie, Actor, Director, etc. related.

http://www.imdb.com/

You can look up entire cast and crew, filming locations, awards nominated for and received, episodes, trailers, trivia, goofs, actor biographies, filmography, etc..
Every time I set up my trail cams, it looks like a raccoon and opossum freeway. I don't bother setting them up any more unless I want to check for mink or coyotes.
I know the raccoons will be roaming the place right after dark and periodically through the night.
Great info and advice about using the state labs, if for no other reason than to confirm what you already know and to discover if there is something else going on as well.

The thing about spotting the coon is that we do not have typical "coon friendly" country so they don't often show up here. Coyotes, wolves, bear, bobcat, fox, eagles, great horned owls, just about every form of hawk, in winter the daylight hunting snowy owl and even the occasional cougar. (fortunately all of the above eat the weasels and the pine martin) But we rarely even see a coon roadkill.

We had a fairly mild and dry winter so the rain is badly needed.....but not all at once for pity sake.
Morning Microchick
hugs.gif

Here's a small prayer your Monday finds your flock at peace and no more losses.

We just broke another record for rainfall/snowfall for the month of April, aren't we special???

Raining/snowing again this morning so I have decided to just go bumming (and grocery shopping of course, I truly hate grocery shopping)
Weather is supposed to break by end of the week.
No mud here, too much sand. I feel sorry for the folks to our south tho because all our sand means all the rain/snow melt just keeps movin' along so everyone down river have been on floodwatch for weeks.
My prayers and sympathy for any of you in the south and west. Just wow. You spring is just horrible this year! Another chicken group I belong to on FB is loaded with one pic after another of flooded coops and homes, or others just gone.

Ok, my wishes that all my friends on here have a good Monday and a great rest of the week.

Oh, BTW-----ATTENTION ANY BUNNY FOLKS, HELP! We rescued a baby wild bunny yesterday my hubby came across sitting frozen out in the middle of our bare field. Thinking it might have been dropped by a hawk but didn't appear to be injured, just very wet, cold and refusing to move. Small enough to sit in the palm of my hand but just big enough to be weaned. It's started eating and munching on kale and unmedicated organic chick starter crumbles. Otherwise it's happily curled up and hiding under a warm brooder plate. Guess my freshly set up brooder is good for something anyway. I plan to release it as soon as the weather breaks but in the mean time???

ChickenCanoe, what are their charges like?

I looked up the lab at Columbia and down loaded their service manual for necropsy on Avian species and it reads like a Chinese puzzle. There are like three or four different fees listed for an avian necropsy. I'd like to know if there is something else going on but cost may be a bit restrictive for me in finding out. I live on a strict budget and 200 dollars is 4 months worth of feed for my birds.

As for the humongus raccoon, Mr Raccoon needs to go away real fast. Our vet told us once about a client who had a raccoon drown their dog. I was shocked to hear that. He said it wasn't uncommon for raccoons to lure a dog out into the water,then climb up on it head and push it under, effectively killing it. He said it had happened more than once in his practice. The bigger raccoon the higher the risk.

Great info and advice about using the state labs, if for no other reason than to confirm what you already know and to discover if there is something else going on as well.

The thing about spotting the coon is that we do not have typical "coon friendly" country so they don't often show up here. Coyotes, wolves, bear, bobcat, fox, eagles, great horned owls, just about every form of hawk, in winter the daylight hunting snowy owl and even the occasional cougar. (fortunately all of the above eat the weasels and the pine martin) But we rarely even see a coon roadkill.
I understand. More suburban areas have more coons. We have fox and coyotes, weasels and mink, bobcats in the area, bear and cougars aren't far away but rare. While keeping chickens, I'm encouraged to see 'coon and 'possum road kill. We had a great horned owl hunting midday last summer.

Morning Microchick
hugs.gif

Here's a small prayer your Monday finds your flock at peace and no more losses.

We just broke another record for rainfall/snowfall for the month of April, aren't we special???

Raining/snowing again this morning so I have decided to just go bumming (and grocery shopping of course, I truly hate grocery shopping)
Weather is supposed to break by end of the week.
No mud here, too much sand. I feel sorry for the folks to our south tho because all our sand means all the rain/snow melt just keeps movin' along so everyone down river have been on floodwatch for weeks.
My prayers and sympathy for any of you in the south and west. Just wow. You spring is just horrible this year! Another chicken group I belong to on FB is loaded with one pic after another of flooded coops and homes, or others just gone.

Ok, my wishes that all my friends on here have a good Monday and a great rest of the week.

Oh, BTW-----ATTENTION ANY BUNNY FOLKS, HELP! We rescued a baby wild bunny yesterday my hubby came across sitting frozen out in the middle of our bare field. Thinking it might have been dropped by a hawk but didn't appear to be injured, just very wet, cold and refusing to move. Small enough to sit in the palm of my hand but just big enough to be weaned. It's started eating and munching on kale and unmedicated organic chick starter crumbles. Otherwise it's happily curled up and hiding under a warm brooder plate. Guess my freshly set up brooder is good for something anyway. I plan to release it as soon as the weather breaks but in the mean time???
We set a daily record for rain a couple days ago and a 3 day record. The early part of the month was fairly dry.

Alfalfa pellet perhaps.

ChickenCanoe, what are their charges like?

I looked up the lab at Columbia and down loaded their service manual for necropsy on Avian species and it reads like a Chinese puzzle. There are like three or four different fees listed for an avian necropsy. I'd like to know if there is something else going on but cost may be a bit restrictive for me in finding out. I live on a strict budget and 200 dollars is 4 months worth of feed for my birds.

As for the humongus raccoon, Mr Raccoon needs to go away real fast. Our vet told us once about a client who had a raccoon drown their dog. I was shocked to hear that. He said it wasn't uncommon for raccoons to lure a dog out into the water,then climb up on it head and push it under, effectively killing it. He said it had happened more than once in his practice. The bigger raccoon the higher the risk.

I think I usually paid between 75 and 95 but it was imperative for me to find out what was up in case I needed to take action. The 3 birds I've had tested showed nothing contagious. One with cancer and 2 heart attacks. It is a very comprehensive report.
The shipping may add to the price but you get the School's Fed Ex discount.
They'll also send you a form for flock information and what you want tested for. The person you talk to will help you fill out the form and perhaps you can cut the cost some by eliminating unneeded tests.

Our farm was down in coon hunting country. Guys would stay out all night running their dogs. They could tell by the sound if they had one treed or if one went into the water. It was common for the dogs to go in after the coon and one would end up being drown by the coon. Coons are excellent swimmers, extremely strong and can hold their breath longer than a dog.

Last edited:
Thanks Chickisoup for the morning prayer. I needed that.

Thanks ChickenCanoe for the information. I'm going to call them this morning and talk to the folks in Columbia.

I put in a call to Mizzou's veterinary diagnostic lab and am awaiting a callback from them. I have too much invested in my birds, both time, money and emotion to not see this though, hard as it may be to hear.

Thanks guys for the support and help. It is appreciated more than you know.

Back
Top Bottom