The Old Folks Home

sickbyc.gif
Snow

Well you were asking where the snow was.

Looks like IL in the winter........man I DO NOT miss that!

Take care shoveling snow, SGC. Don't need to hear about anyone having a heart attack.

We had a cougar killed about a mile and a half from our farm about 5 years ago. MODOC was really adamant about telling everyone that the animal was a juvenile male from Nebraska looking for new territory, blah blah blah, even though the local Amish were telling them about the females leading cubs that they had seen in their back pastures. There are also reports of people seeing cougars pretty regularly in the county and guess what? Suddenly MODOC is admititng that there is a growing cougar population in Missouri and they are now finding females on game cameras.

This picture was taken from a game camera in the county just northeast of us:

Here Kitty Kitty Kitty. This was before MODOC was announcing there were no cougars in Missouri!

This is another shot of our tree.

We were looking at it this morning and I told my husband that maybe I was wrong but those sure look like claw marks to me. I much rather it be a cougar than a bear but I told DH that I bet MODOC would down play it. Maybe we will get lucky and it will be an elk....poor elk will definitely wind up in some Amish mason jars if it hangs around here.

When I was growing up on a farm in Madison county near the St. Francois river. Very remote and rustic. I saw bears and cougars - not often but they were there. Lots of bear tracks at the back of the property in washes.
That whole time, it was declared both species had long disappeared from the state.

Looks like IL in the winter........man I DO NOT miss that!

Take care shoveling snow, SGC. Don't need to hear about anyone having a heart attack.

We had a cougar killed about a mile and a half from our farm about 5 years ago. MODOC was really adamant about telling everyone that the animal was a juvenile male from Nebraska looking for new territory, blah blah blah, even though the local Amish were telling them about the females leading cubs that they had seen in their back pastures. There are also reports of people seeing cougars pretty regularly in the county and guess what? Suddenly MODOC is admititng that there is a growing cougar population in Missouri and they are now finding females on game cameras.

This picture was taken from a game camera in the county just northeast of us:

Here Kitty Kitty Kitty. This was before MODOC was announcing there were no cougars in Missouri!

This is another shot of our tree.

We were looking at it this morning and I told my husband that maybe I was wrong but those sure look like claw marks to me. I much rather it be a cougar than a bear but I told DH that I bet MODOC would down play it. Maybe we will get lucky and it will be an elk....poor elk will definitely wind up in some Amish mason jars if it hangs around here.

Hows the deer population.... Mountain lions or Cougars follow the deer. San Diego county is known for its Mountain lion population. During the summer they follow the water and you will see them as far down as the coast having gone right through town. If there are goats and sheep around they will go for that before chickens.

But to be honest that damage looks bigger than a mountain lion. I agree with Al

deb

Hows the deer population.... Mountain lions or Cougars follow the deer. San Diego county is known for its Mountain lion population. During the summer they follow the water and you will see them as far down as the coast having gone right through town. If there are goats and sheep around they will go for that before chickens.

But to be honest that damage looks bigger than a mountain lion. I agree with Al

deb

We had very few deer when I was growing up and a short deer season. We have lots of deer now thanks to the Dept. of Conservation. Turkeys too.

Our deer population has been declining slightly mainly due to the fact that a lot of restrictions have been lifted such as point count on bucks mainly due to an outbreak of chronic wasting disease in the area a couple/three years ago. We haven't seen a deer in our timber since hunting season. Rabbits galore but no deer. DH and I just walked back to put up our game camera and found little tufts of bunny hair on our main trail and scattered over in the neighbor's pasture. No predator prints around it so it was probably a hawk or owl kill. I've heard that when the rabbit population is up, the coyote population will be up also. Oh joy.

Back
Top Bottom