The Old Folks Home

Ahh, the smell of ammonia in the mornings

And the sound of crowing echoing in the basement.

You mean Decomp.....
sickbyc.gif
I had Norway rats in my last house.... Warfarin took them out.... and I had to live with that smell till it disapated.....
sickbyc.gif
@
th.gif

deb

Uggh... nothing like that smell. Except swamp. And sewage treatment plants on a hot summer's day.

EWWWW! you guys get in some stinky conversations!!!
D.gif

Wow Ron!!! 100,000 to sink a well???? Good lord!

We were in a drought here for over 5 years until 2 summers ago when it turned wet and cold. It was actually just what we needed for the flora to begin to recover. We are still low but the past two winters of normal + snows have helped.

I just cannot imagine what you guys in the west are enduring.

We were surprised we had to go down 75 feet with our drilled well. We put in sand points with a hand pounder (yep, we are mostly sand. If you look at us on a topography map you can easily see we are a dried up ancient glacial lake) and usually hit good water at about 15 feet. The house well was originally a sand point down around 35 feet but when we started having problems when the drought really got going, we decided we might as drill down closer to the house. We paid about a $1000 but then most of DH's side of the family are in the business, including 2 of the boys that at the time were working for their great uncle's drilling business.
big_smile.png
( They are both since in business for themselves in servicing and repair and are going together soon to do drilling as well). We just made a call and waited to see who showed up.

Only thing making us nervous now is the way the current patterns are setting up, it looks like we may enter another drought cycle and we are still classified as "well below normal". Last time we had this kind of spring pattern, we had a bone dry summer.
I drove to the next town north today and didn;t like what I saw. This time of year the rivers around here are normally way out of their banks and into the flood plains prompting flood watches to our south but all I saw were streams and rivers barely above mid summer levels. Not a good sign.

Last edited:
EWWWW! you guys get in some stinky conversations!!!
D.gif

Wow Ron!!! 100,000 to sink a well???? Good lord!

We were in a drought here for over 5 years until 2 summers ago when it turned wet and cold. It was actually just what we needed for the flora to begin to recover. We are still low but the past two winters of normal + snows have helped.

I just cannot imagine what you guys in the west are enduring.

We were surprised we had to go down 75 feet with our drilled well. We put in sand points with a hand pounder (yep, we are mostly sand. If you look at us on a topography map you can easily see we are a dried up ancient glacial lake) and usually hit good water at about 15 feet. The house well was originally a sand point down around 35 feet but when we started having problems when the drought really got going, we decided we might as drill down closer to the house. We paid about a $1000 but then most of DH's side of the family are in the business, including 2 of the boys that at the time were working for their great uncle's drilling business.
big_smile.png
( They are both since in business for themselves in servicing and repair and are going together soon to do drilling as well). We just made a call and waited to see who showed up.

Only thing making us nervous now is the way the current patterns are setting up, it looks like we may enter another drought cycle and we are still classified as "well below normal". Last time we had this kind of spring pattern, we had a bone dry summer.
I drove to the next town north today and didn;t like what I saw. This time of year the rivers around here are normally way out of their banks and into the flood plains prompting flood watches to our south but all I saw were streams and rivers barely above mid summer levels. Not a good sign.
Yes, it is crazy how much well drilling is here.

It is April so we will likely not see any rain until next October. Normally we would have some rain up to mid May and then no rain but this year has been very dry.

Fire season now too.

deb, ron, we could send you some cold and snow next winter, we don't want it all again. Below zero most of the winter, haven't seen our lawn since September, some feilds have bare patches. Was warm today but another three inches of snow for tomorrow....

California is a huge food producer--expect the drought to also break you budget.

This year I will be letting the grass in the back yard die. We already have double flush toilettes and water reducing ends on the faucets.
Now I'm really glad I am starting a garden.

California has to review its agricultural practices. farmers have been shifting from perrenial food crops to orchards

It takes a gallon of water to produce 1 almond!

A gallon of almond milk takes 80 gallons of water to produce.

But thats ok. because its "healthy"
I am cutting down on almonds. I saw somewhere that was questioning why you would "milk the nut" instead of just eating it. It takes so much energy and water..

Back
Top Bottom