The Old Folks Home

I just heard the news.... Something Simple... Sea World announced they are converting all thier toilets over to sea water. Its brilliant.. they bring in the water from Mission Bay and run it through a filter... Then its provided for the toilets throughout the park. San Diego process the sewage and the effluent is filtered and sent out back to the ocean. full circle.

Here in Santee we have two water sources... one is full on fresh water from reserviors.... the other is recycled water from the sewage. Its delivered in purple pipes and used to water all the public spaces. It would be nice to include that in the next housing development for flushing toilets and watering gardens. Its 99 percent pure. Actually as drinkable as unfiltered lake water. There are plans to work it back into the fresh water supply at some sort of percentage...

If we can as a society get over the thought of Toilet to Tap concept. Id drink it.

deb
thumbsup.gif
We waste so much "clean" water. We don't have water issues here (much). We have one of the lowest water rates in the country. Family of 4 living in a 3 bathroom house, dishwasher, washer, washing cars, occasionally watering the lawn. Most months we pay about $25 for our water. We personally (for save the earth purposes) have rain barrels that I water my flowers and veggie garden with and the chickens and when I boil anything I use the water to water my house plants.

We use a buttload of water, I think about 600 cubic meters per year or something. I'd like to see that number go down a bit, and I actually have some ideas on how to cut down our use a bit. Would save on water heating cost too, at the moment our plumbing is set up a bit stupidly.

*Edit* Okay, that sounded way too high. And it was. Apparently we used 25 cubic meters in Q4/14. So with a bit more watering in the summer, maybe 120 cubic meters per year. Costs about 50 euros per month or so.

Last edited:
I haven't tried the beanie cap thing myself, I just saw a picture of it in Karin's facebook feed. But it looked like a good idea, quick and easy.
Oh ok. I'll see if I can find a link.
We use a buttload of water, I think about 600 cubic meters per year or something. I'd like to see that number go down a bit, and I actually have some ideas on how to cut down our use a bit. Would save on water heating cost too, at the moment our plumbing is set up a bit stupidly.

*Edit* Okay, that sounded way too high. And it was. Apparently we used 25 cubic meters in Q4/14. So with a bit more watering in the summer, maybe 120 cubic meters per year. Costs about 50 euros per month or so.
We still need to drop our consumption too. Kids still as teens use waaaay too much with those 30 minute showers.
barnie.gif
Hopefully rain barrels and soaker hoses will help outside soon.

We have a driven point well for the house and a sandpoint well for manual backup. And, of course rainbarrels at the corners of every building. We also have a solar snowmelt system for water for the chickens in the wintertime.
The potato farmer down the road totally screwed up the water table. Besides, he pumps so many chemicals on the ground we didn't trust our water anymore because we aren't positive of the direction of the flow above filter layer. He draws most of his water from a "deep" well drilled hundreds of feet down into an aquifer (one of only a handful in the entire state). You would not believe it, if you don't see it, how much water and chemicals it's takes to produce a commercially grown potato. We won't eat em'. We grow our own.

Last edited:
We have a driven point well for the house and a sandpoint well for manual backup. And, of course rainbarrels at the corners of every building. We also have a solar snowmelt system for water for the chickens in the wintertime.
The potato farmer down the road totally screwed up the water table. Besides, he pumps so many chemicals on the ground we didn't trust our water anymore because we aren't positive of the direction of the flow above filter layer. He draws most of his water from a "deep" well drilled hundreds of feet down into an aquifer (one of only a handful in the entire state). You would not believe it, if you don't see it, how much water and chemicals it's takes to produce a commercially grown potato. We won't eat em'. We grow our own.
Wells that have been good for 100 years are going dry here.

The cost for re drilling or drilling a well is over $100,000.00 and there is a long waiting list too.

The news last night said that California needs more than a trillion gallons to make up for the water lost in the drought.

I am finally off to the philippines tonight

we are have unseasonal weather also.

A cat 4 typhoon was due to make landfall on Sat not long after I arrive. Now its been downgraded to a cat 3 and has slowed down enough to get me into Manila and out safely.

Back
Top Bottom