The Old Folks Home

Hi Bamadude. I was through Skipperville Sunday. I went down to Enterprise for my fiftieth class reunion. Are you on the main highway?
my property goes to hwy 105. About a 1/4 mile from the gas station, at the bottom of the hill where the beaver ponds are... is the back of my property. Next time u come through holler at us.... i guess u being from ehs

I remember drinking well water back in the early 60's from my grandmother's well. I loved it. I can almost taste it now. Not sure it was tested back then. I remember the red pump, and..yes, she only had an outhouse. ...

The old farm up the road from where I live now where we kept all the chickens had a well house right outside the front door on a hand dug well. There was no pump but two buckets on each end of a rope on a pulley you had to use to retrieve water. Pull one bucket up and down the other went. I remember the water being so sweet tasting. Some of the best I've ever had.

We stayed in a hut on the beach in Mexico once with no running water. There was a well out back you had to retrieve water to flush the toilet with.
... If it did not rain we had to bathe in the lake and came out covered in leeches!
ep.gif

Not cool.

Before we installed a bathroom at the farm, we had a little plastic boat behind the house we used as a bathtub. The well water was so cold, you could tell when someone was taking a bath cause they'd be screaming the whole time.

Coming late to the share fest, from the Class of '71. I went to Pacific Grove High Scool for three years, but for my senior year, I was one of twenty students chosen for the Community Centered High School (also in Pacific Grove). We students BUILT the facility in a corner of the Junior High property (yup, back before they called 'em "Middle Schools"). It was a huge Geodesic dome. Most study was done off-site; as I wanted to be a writer someday, I went to a local author's home to learn from her. Art instruction still occurred at the regular HS campus under the tutelage of the Art teacher (a local but well-known painter in oils). If'n you wanted to do landscapes, you had plenty of actual landscape in the county, all the way from rocky or sandy shores, agricultural vistas, forested areas, commercial and residential areas, etc.

Because I got married during my senior year, the Director of the CCHS program insisted I make a full course dinner for him and his wife in the little apartment where my new husband and I resided - in order to graduate. :gig

For dessert, i served my first and only "almost from scratch" cherry pie I have ever made. Gorgeous lattice top crust. Really tasty, with the perfect flaky crust, top and bottom.

Crunchy though, because I hadn't noticed the cans of cherries were not pitted. Why the HECK would anyone can cherries with their pits still in them?!?!?

I was still graduated, though. :D

My phone takes awful pics...that was a crock pot tho. I can pretty much guarantee 90% of yall have used 1 at some point. Speaking of points... im cooking part of a 4 point

SCG Did you just get up for the morning? I still haven't been to bed. Had another ice cream frenzy and afraid if I lay down, It will all back up
sickbyc.gif
I keep doing the same destructive things over and over- never learn.

Hey girl, you never sent me a picture of the top you made from the chicken print. Is it halter style??

Yeah, I usually get up sometime around 0400. I haven't started the chicken print top, yet. Working on a sewing machine cover right now (the cat ate the two plastic ones that I had so this became urgent) and finishing up a quilt.

I remember drinking well water back in the early 60's from my grandmother's well. I loved it. I can almost taste it now. Not sure it was tested back then. I remember the red pump, and..yes, she only had an outhouse. I remember them coming to clean that sucker.
sickbyc.gif
We used..Pee Cans ... if needed at night. Have to be careful how you say Pecans around me..If you say it by using the E as a long vowel, I would be thinking of something else.

We had well water growing up and I still have it now where I am. In Maryland when it would rain a lot the well water would turn brownish yellow. That thankfully doesn't happen here but it is delicious water.

The first few times I came up to Maine the house we were staying at didn't have running water (too cold/frozen) so we had to trek out to the lake with an auger and fill buckets with water for everything (cooking, drinking, flushing).

I am right now eating pickles (Tony Packo's Spicy Pickles & Peppers) right out of the jar. I am a real Betty Crocker.

Back
Top Bottom