The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

NFC, I thought I'd swing by and show you the pigeons, after your comment on the Cute Baby Fowl thread :D
Mom & Dad (Bonnie & Clyde) share incubation and parenting duties. Male pigeons usually sit on the eggs during the day, females do evenings and overnights. 2 eggs is normal for them, although sometimes they will only lay 1, or sometimes 3. Anyway, both of Bonnie's eggs hatched December 2nd/3rd, but one died at around 5 days old. It supposedly is common in pigeons, one squab will sometimes hog the feed. Mom and Dad feed them for the first couple of weeks. They grow super fast, but don't move around a whole lot at first. I'm still learning about them as I go, but loving it!

Parents - Clyde has more blue on his chest.
Bonnie left-Clyde right
They are Satinettes - the variety of pigeons.
There are 100's of varieties.
View attachment 1615279
View attachment 1615271

Dec 5th, both babies just a few days old
View attachment 1615267

Bonnie with Bugsy
View attachment 1615268

View attachment 1615269
View attachment 1615270

Wow WV, they are beautiful! Look at the feathering on those feet! Guess the babies are like puppies that have to grow into their feet...squab have to grow into their beaks:)

Why are the perches shaped like upside down v's? I've noticed that type of perch on other's pictures but didn't know why.

I can see why you got into raising the pigeons. Very interesting!

You're probably right about that! I'm thinking chicken alfredo will look enough like real food.
YUM!!!!! Iff'n I were DH I'd be more than happy to eat that.

Good morning. I'm here in town, just taking in all the changes, events, and foibles you are all involved in. I can't keep up, and when I try to be efficient and do the multi-quote thing for responses I get all mixed up and confuse myself.
Aw @Blooie, you can do it!!

You all will just have to imagine the singing part...that's easier on the ears than the real thing :lol:
I don't know why, it was perfect! Funny how I can hear it on key in my head, can't get it out of my mouth anywhere near that though.

NFC, I thought I'd swing by and show you the pigeons, after your comment on the Cute Baby Fowl thread :D
Mom & Dad (Bonnie & Clyde) share incubation and parenting duties. Male pigeons usually sit on the eggs during the day, females do evenings and overnights. 2 eggs is normal for them, although sometimes they will only lay 1, or sometimes 3. Anyway, both of Bonnie's eggs hatched December 2nd/3rd, but one died at around 5 days old. It supposedly is common in pigeons, one squab will sometimes hog the feed. Mom and Dad feed them for the first couple of weeks. They grow super fast, but don't move around a whole lot at first. I'm still learning about them as I go, but loving it!

Bonnie left-Clyde right
View attachment 1615279
View attachment 1615271

View attachment 1615267

Bonnie with Bugsy
View attachment 1615268

View attachment 1615269
View attachment 1615270
Reminds me of Rudolph, "what's wrong with your nose"? :lau pretty birds, though.

Is it just me or do this ones legs look kind of weird/bony? And she's scrawny which is a little weird if she's in a foster home but she could just be the runt. But I feel like the early spay/neuter is really going to mess up her development; she already looks weird enough. :(

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156392847593451&id=47771038450

Amd these two... I don't get how they could be sisters or how one ad says German Shepherd mix and the other says Bassett/Bulldog mix and they look nothing alike. So either they are not biological sisters and have just lived together or they are and they just changed the description based on their looks? Which seems kind of odd and deceptive. It says they are the same age so I guess they must be bio sisters as I doubt they would have bought two puppies from two litters/different people at the same exact time. But then why change the description?

https://www.facebook.com/47771038450/posts/10156397243338451/

https://www.facebook.com/47771038450/posts/10156393425428451/

Wow WV, they are beautiful! Look at the feathering on those feet! Guess the babies are like puppies that have to grow into their feet...squab have to grow into their beaks:)

Why are the perches shaped like upside down v's? I've noticed that type of perch on other's pictures but didn't know why.

I can see why you got into raising the pigeons. Very interesting!

Thanks, I’ve grown very fond of them quickly.
The beak already looks as big as the parents’ beaks, so I guess they really do grow into them! Lol

The perches are usually set up in columns with several directly over top of each other. The dominant ones get the highest perches. But the V shape causes the poop to fall out and around anyone directly underneath.
Some people don’t use them and they seem to do fine, but I kinda like the looks of them too. :D

@sourland can probably elaborate if there is more to it. It seems kind of an instinctive thing with them to roost on them too.

Bonnie left-Clyde right
View attachment 1615279
View attachment 1615271

View attachment 1615267

Bonnie with Bugsy
View attachment 1615268

View attachment 1615269
View attachment 1615270
feefing pigeons_1.gif Pigeons!

Back
Top Bottom