The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Just heard another mink outside, now that I know what that creepy sound is. It reminded me to warn all of you who like me and DH didn't know. Turns out mink spray like a skunk. It's nasty. So it you catch one, maintain some distance. Have a good friend move the trap :)

update..

I have been treating all of the birds... I have not lost any today and some of the older birds who could not walk yesterday were up today. I pretty much think all of the chick are not going to make it and I am not really working with them much. They are so small and internal damage could be significant from even a few days of poison. I worry about damage. If they make it I will just cull them as meat birds. I was going to cull them all last night and decided to give them all another 24 hours. I will probably regret my decision since it was more emotional than good sense. I think I am over the hump with the adults. Now the hard work starts. I have to detox and pro gel for three weeks and send one off to the lab at the end of three weeks to see how much damage I did to them. They want me to put them on antibiotics after the detox since now they are more vulnerable to respiratory problems. I do not know if I can do that. I have a few weeks to make up my mind. My birds were strong before and that also helped to save most of them. I just hope I did not destroy their livers and gizzards. I think if I give them antibiotics i will destine them to liver failure for sure.

Thank you all so much for the links..the reading and calling and getting them on detox and pro gel so quickly probably saved them. They responded in less than 12 hours. It was remarkable. As a group you are the best. If my flock is saved..you all did it.

I am so grateful and thankful this Thanksgiving for wonderful people on this thread in my life..
I wish you and your family's a wonderful Thanksgiving.

update..

I have been treating all of the birds... I have not lost any today and some of the older birds who could not walk yesterday were up today. I pretty much think all of the chick are not going to make it and I am not really working with them much. They are so small and internal damage could be significant from even a few days of poison. I worry about damage. If they make it I will just cull them as meat birds.  I was going to cull them all last night and decided to give them all another 24 hours. I will probably regret my decision since it was more emotional than good sense. I think I am over the hump with the adults. Now the hard work starts. I have to detox and pro gel for three weeks and send one off to the lab at the end of three weeks to see how much damage I did to them. They want me to put them on antibiotics after the detox since now they are more vulnerable to respiratory problems. I do not know if I can do that. I have a few weeks to make up my mind. My birds were strong before and that also helped to save most of them. I just hope I did not destroy their livers and gizzards. I think if I give them antibiotics i will destine them to liver failure for sure.

Thank you all so much for the links..the reading and calling and getting them on detox and pro gel so quickly probably saved them. They responded in less than 12 hours. It was remarkable. As a group you are the best. If my flock is saved..you all did it.

I am so grateful and thankful this Thanksgiving for wonderful people on this thread in my life..
I wish you and your family's a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Del
When things settle down could you explain the detox process and what is pro gel.

Del, thank you for the update! My stomach has been in knots over your flock.

Instead of antibiotics, what about tons of fresh oregano and garlic? Both have such good antibiotic properties. I don't blame you for not wanting to use regular antibiotics.

There are a number of other great herbs that cleanse the liver (Milk Thistle, dandelion root, Turmeric and Globe Artichoke). While it may take a few days to find the others, Turmeric can be found at any grocery store. You can probably start it right away without being worried about its safety for your birds.

Please keep us posted when you can - I know you've got your hands full right now.

Glad to hear it is mostly guarded good news so far about the flock, Del.

I had one of those "emotional" postponing for one of my survivors too, but today I went ahead and did the deed.

Delisha, again I am so sorry that this happened. Good to hear that most of your flock is on the mend. I know this is hard on you. You have worked so hard on your birds and I am so relieved you haven't lost them all. Hang in there!

i didn't know that mink spray......wonder if the skunk smell removers work for mink spray? sorry you had to find out the hard way!
all the weasel family have a musk. some is stronger than others but the basic chemical composition is similar... ferret deodorizers work ok too, but the best I've found is mixing oxyclean with baking soda and liquid detergent and washing *whatever* down with that. the peroxides in the oxyclean neutralize the sulfur compounds that cause the nasty odor.

Back
Top Bottom