The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I say - no need apologize (or be embarassed) if you have a pet chicken. If that's why you have chickens (or even just one of them is a pet), that's your choice!

And you still want to raise them as naturally as possible :D

smiley-with-chicken-emoticon.gif

Thank you. =)
I don't apologize for it; although I would never have bought a pet chicken, I am glad I ended up with my Snoodle and I'm also glad there's a way for her to earn her keep.

I do raise them as naturally as I can; I've even been able to push off the pen my DH wanted to build for them for a few months, hopefully, forever. ;-) lol

On Labor day weekend my broody hatched 3 from my flock. 2 are SFH/BA cross; 1 SFH. Right now it still looks like all 3 are female although one is of the mixes is larger and I still question that one.

When folks talk about ACV and sex of eggs, I've always wondered (first if it's true) if it is because of more acid in the diet. If that is "really" true, it would stand to reason that LACTO-FERMENTED feed (not alcohol ferment) may also create the same environment due to the acid (lactic acid).

Something interesting to ponder.

That is the general thought on getting a female for a human. Decrease the PH level and increase the odds of a female but decrease it too much and get no baby. Also it is healthier to have a normal PH so keeping the PH level acidic too long can lead to an increase in little illnesses as a warning sign to start getting it back to normal.

That is the general thought on getting a female for a human.  Decrease the PH level and increase the odds of a female but decrease it too much and get no baby.   Also it is healthier to have a normal PH so keeping the PH level acidic too long can lead to an increase in little illnesses as a warning sign to start getting it back to normal.

May be totally coincidental, but my mother told me her mother used a vinegar douche for birth control and had two daughters (1926 & 1929.)
:/

May be totally coincidental, but my mother told me her mother used a vinegar douche for birth control and had two daughters (1926 & 1929.)
hmm.png
Gender in humans is entirely dependent on the sperm. It's either XX or XY. XX swim slower and last longer (they don't burn up their energy so quick), XY swim faster and die off quicker. It depends on when the mother ovulates in relation to when intercourse happened.
No amount of vinegar is going to change or dictate gender. This would also apply in chickens.

My girls are not impressed with the FF I whipped up....any suggestions to make it more palatable or does it need to sit longer? They peck at it a little bit and then leave. Then it freezes....supposed to warm up this next week....girls are doing fine in the open air coop so far....it's a beautiful, sunny 35dg here today!

My girls are not impressed with the FF I whipped up....any suggestions to make it more palatable or does it need to sit longer? They peck at it a little bit and then leave. Then it freezes....supposed to warm up this next week....girls are doing fine in the open air coop so far....it's a beautiful, sunny 35dg here today!

I'm feeding a bit of mine for the first time today. I've been giving them some protein treats (they've been doing the ugly molt thing), with Nutri-balancer in it ... That's a wet treat so different from their usual feed, but they are now trained to come running when the treat bowls come out. Today I put a scoop of the FF in with the protein treat so they can get used to the extra smell and flavor. I introduce one thing at a time, along with something they already like.

Maybe putting a little something yummy in with it that they already like ... Some molasses or scratch or scrambled egg or yogurt ... ?

Back
Top Bottom