The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I kept a few female offspring from Mr Wonderful.
Here are Oreo & Double Stuff:
(They are a "package deal" and ALWAYS TOGETHER. They are especially sweet...... and I can't pick just one.) One girl has the thicker lacing.
Last month:
IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

Now:
IMG_1638.JPG
IMG_1641.JPG

The other girl I kept came from my blue silver laced hen. Not sure if I'll keep this pullet around long term.
IMG_0616.JPG

Mr Wonderful is still his awesome self.
IMG_1633.JPG

(They are a "package deal" and ALWAYS TOGETHER. They are especially sweet...... and I can't pick just one.) One girl has the thicker lacing.
Last month:
View attachment 1512653
View attachment 1512663
Now:
View attachment 1512650View attachment 1512649

The other girl I kept came from my blue silver laced hen. Not sure if I'll keep this pullet around long term.
View attachment 1512654

View attachment 1512655
Last month:
View attachment 1512653
View attachment 1512663
Now:
View attachment 1512650View attachment 1512649

View attachment 1512654

View attachment 1512655
Yes, Mr. Wonderful is being himself as wonderful....love the photo of him! but as noted that Mr. Wonderful does have split wings and are slightly pointing down, wings should never be split or pointing down but rather swept back...perhaps this is from a photo being taken at the wrong time, even so, he is very much lovely and very much to be proud of....all Silvers need major work so it is no surprise when one shows a slight fault. We must all remember this Silver Laced color is very new and needs a lot of work. That being said.... we love Mr. Wonderful and keep up the great work! I'm a fan of your breeding farm!

I don't think he's split wing, but the other photo could have been taken at a bad angle. I just went out & took a few more.
Profile pics:
IMG_1684.jpg
IMG_1729.jpg
I've been finding some wing feathers around the yard, so I know there's some molt. I don't think he has the missing middle feather. He's currently missing one of the primaries.
IMG_1681.jpg

I have 2 lav cockerels that I'm more concerned about. (Both hatched May 1st ) I'm keeping both for now, but leaning toward lav 2.

Lav 1
Take a close look at the spread wings. The feather lengths are all over the place & very uneven. Is this also called "split wing"? or are they just growing and we must wait & see. Lav 1's wings are lower too. I like his face/ comb. His body has some nice roundness - but he's certainly hit that very awkward-looking phase.
IMG_1687.jpg IMG_1689.jpg IMG_1690.jpg
IMG_1722.jpg

Lav 2
This boy is taller & has a nice even color. His wings have the same uneven feather lengths when spread, but maybe not quite as bad. I don't like his comb. The points just don't look right, but I didn't bother picking him up, so I couldn't get a close up. Try zooming in on face of the 2nd small pic
IMG_1696.jpg IMG_1694.jpg
awkward massive body on stilts! This guy's more leggy.
IMG_1697.jpg
..... and lazy. Like to eat & lay around. Just started crowing. No hen-chasing from either yet.
IMG_1702.jpg

Looks like your taking great effort in picking your best roos. I went through many roos that I thought would be the best of the best for a breeding roo...but as time and as they matured my guess was always wrong...it seems like the best always are late bloomers. Keep up the great work, you obvious have a eye for a quality rooster! Love your Lavender color!

Any guesses for gender on this lav orp? 8 wks old tomorrow.
* I've been going back & forth on the gender.
Acts & walks female.
Has a tiny comb.
But those wattles have been pink since age 4 weeks!!!
lav-orp-8wks-jpg.1541208
lav-orp-8wks1-jpg.1541210

Horrible pic because the broody is molting terribly, but you can see the chick's stance.
IMG_2537.JPG

The above lav orp turned out to be female. She's 11 weeks old now & still has the same tiny comb.

Anyone want to play "Guess the gender" on these new ones? 4 weeks old
Males:
1?, 3, 4

Females:
2, 5, 6

...and what's up with with #7?
I think I see traits of both male & female.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
7b.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 2