The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

so pretty!

Thank you. I am praying they turn out well after some more growing out. This was my first year breeding. I gave away two cross cockerels (Nelson male over Kittle pullet) to someone breeding Kittles. I let my Nelson cockerel have at the Kittles too to increase my egg layers and so he didn't wear out the only Nelson pullet I had.

Will have to watch well to see which will be for eggs and which will make breeding selection for late winter/spring.

For the person asking about multiple Cockerels.... Group the cockerels in their OWN place where they can not see any hens or the main Cockerel you have WITH the hens. If you are free ranging do different times for the cockerels and main group.... unless of course you have fenced range pens for them.

Thank you. I am praying they turn out well after some more growing out. This was my first year breeding. I gave away two cross cockerels (Nelson male over Kittle pullet) to someone breeding Kittles. I let my Nelson cockerel have at the Kittles too to increase my egg layers and so he didn't wear out the only Nelson pullet I had.

Will have to watch well to see which will be for eggs and which will make breeding selection for late winter/spring.

For the person asking about multiple Cockerels.... Group the cockerels in their OWN place where they can not see any hens or the main Cockerel you have WITH the hens. If you are free ranging do different times for the cockerels and main group.... unless of course you have fenced range pens for them.
I can't wait to see pix/
big_smile.png

I don't have a Heritage Red, I have a 3 production reds. I was looking for some help. I know Fred and many others on this sight have lots of wonderful knowledge. My question is 2/3 reds started laying at 20 weeks that now makes them 28 weeks. Why is my 3rd red waiting so long? She has always been a bit prettier then my other two . I thought for sure she was the first but after watching she never enters the box . Anyone have any thoughts? Her diet is very good! All my girls get a bounty of food and there feed plus flax, coconut oil, organic unfiltered vinegar .......My girls that are laying all have beautiful hard dark eggs from day one. So at 28 weeks am I doing something wrong?
thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I am still learning on the true bred, Standard bred Rhode Island Reds. Kind of you to say good words, but that's honest the truth.
Your question rightly belongs on one of the generic threads on Flock Keeping, but I'll be glad to tell you that there isn't anything you are doing wrong.

Even with hatchery based stock such as you have and no matter the hatchery label as to what they say they are, some birds, as individuals simply take forever to mature. They can even take until 36 weeks to begin laying.

As a flock keeper who just wants backyard eggs, this is frustrating, but once such a bird begins to lay, you're happy.

As a breeder, any female who doesn't begin to lay until much, much later than her hatchmates? That's a cull for breeding purposes, at least here on my farm. I wouldn't want to pass on slower and slower and slower development. That's not a positive trait here.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom