The chick that got thrown away

friednotscrambled

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jun 25, 2019
Hatching eggs can certainly teach us about struggling for life.

I had 28 of 29 eggs hatch on day 21. Egg 29 was pipped but not making progress. I decided to give it day 22 to hatch.

I left home for a few hours and came back to an unhatched chick, with no further progress on the pipped area.

I opened the incubator and took it out for inspection. There was no sign of life, so I discarded the egg along with the eggshells from the incubator. Took the trash to the laundry room until I could take it to the garage. Then I took care of other chores in the house.

A couple hours later I grabbed the trash bag to take it to the garage. Upon picking it up I heard a faint and very forlorn 'peeeep'... oh my gosh! That little chick was alive! My heart sank. No way could it survive that, and hatch successfully.....

I quickly dug the little one out of the trash and started the incubator again - which I had put away for the year. I continued warming the little one up in my cupped hands til the incubator was 90 degrees - nearly 'to temperature '.

I carefully peeled part of the egg and exposed a considerable amount of the chick. No blood, so that was good. I placed it in the incubator and watched as the little survivor began working it's way out of the remaining shell. Not nearly as lively as it should be, I didn't give it much chance of survival. An hour later the noise from the incubator was deafening. Peep Peep Peep!!! Singing 'I will survive!'

20240320_192148.jpg

Meet Aretha/Franklin ' I will survive'

Last edited:
Hatching eggs can certainly teach us about struggling for life.

I had 28 of 29 eggs hatch on day 21. Egg 29 was pipped but not making progress. I decided to give it day 22 to hatch.

I left home for a few hours and came back to an unhatched chick, with no further progress on the pipped area.

I opened the incubator and took it out for inspection. There was no sign of life, so I discarded the egg along with the eggshells from the incubator. Took the trash to the laundry room until I could take it to the garage. Then I took care of other chores in the house.

A couple hours later I grabbed the trash bag to take it to the garage. Upon picking it up I heard a faint and very forlorn 'peeeep'... oh my gosh! That little chick was alive! My heart sank. No way could it survive that, and hatch successfully.....

I quickly dug the little one out of the trash and started the incubator again - which I had put away for the year. I continued warming the little one up in my cupped hands til the incubator was 90 degrees - nearly 'to temperature '.

I carefully peeled part of the egg and exposed a considerable amount of the chick. No blood, so that was good. I placed it in the incubator and watched as the little survivor began working it's way out of the remaining shell. Not nearly as lively as it should be, I didn't give it much chance of survival. An hour later the noise from the incubator was deafening. Peep Peep Peep!!! Singing 'I will survive!'

View attachment 3777451
Meet Aretha/Franklin ' I will survive'
this happens a lot more than you think. I always check my eggs.

Back
Top Bottom